ITLA Modular Industry

Started by Zephyrus52246, April 07, 2024, 08:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

This structure is made form ITLA industrial Wall Modules.  This will go where the cardboard mock up was on the layout if you've followed my Layout Build.  There are several different wall modules.  Different widths, brick vs concrete, window types and one with fire escapes and another with a large loading door for train entry. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I needed to cut the walls down one story as the four story was too high for the space.  From a strength stand point, cutting the top 5/8 in concrete  off, then a story, and replacing the top would be the best.  But it was much easier to cut thru one of the middle stories with a razor saw.  

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The parts are the wall piece, brick pieces, and "lazerboard" pilasters, windows and the large roll up door. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Sawing, some minor sanding and the wall is together.  I used a straight edge to make sure the top was straight, glued the upper wall pieces together, then using the straight edge to make sure the bottom was straight, glued them together, then top piece to bottom piece.  The two lower left openings won't have the large door, they have smaller pieces for a loading dock and outside stair.  The right side piece is for a fire escape with doors. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Next up were adding the pilasters, there is a wide one and a narrow one,  I started by cutting the pieces one story up from the bottom, which seemed to fit well. 

Jeff

Rollin

ITLA was featured in last weeks Miniprints live broadcast and I was unfamiliar with their kits. Many of their kits can be assembled to fit several footprints and I am eager to see how you do this one and make it fit your needs.

Zephyrus52246

After putting the 3 center ones on, I did the side wall and had a DOH! moment.  I could just put the strip on whole, and cut off the bottom, the lines on the pilasters still lined up!   ::)

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Hi Rollin, thanks for looking in.  I have one built one of their kits already and it went together well, and this kit seemed quite "customizable" so I'm giving it a go.  

I added the side pilasters and this wall is finished.  

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Next, I fitted all the pieces so I can make sure I paint enough parts.  I'm just going to use rattle cans for this, basically tan for the concrete areas and black for the windows and red for the bricks.  The windows have spots where the window has been "replaced" and these can be easily removed and moved around as needed. There are only two walls, as the back and side won't be seen and I'll use gatorfoam for these sides.  I may brace these two walls before painting.  

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The two open areas on the long wall have pieces that will need some masking and the concrete areas under the small windows on the fire escape wall will need to be hand painted, but I'll mask it so I don't have to paint over the red brick color.  This is where I'm at tonight, and since it will be nice tomorrow, I'm going to mow and do some other outside work, so I probably won't work with this for a couple of days. 

Jeff

ReadingBob

Looks like a fun project and you have the perfect location for it.  I don't have any ITLA kits but was sorely tempted by them when I saw them at one of the EXPO's.  I meant to go back and buy one but never got around to it.

Thanks for sharing!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Looks like a very interesting system Jeff, I'll be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Zephyrus52246

Bob, thanks for watching.  I really miss the EXPOs.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Greg, it is an interesting system.  Hoping that the separate pieces can be easily painted and put together fairly quickly.

Jeff

ACL1504

Jeff,

I'll be following along on this adventure.  I have two of their kits and wasn't as sorely temped as Reading Bob was. We were at the same EXPO.

Removing the fourth floor was a nice kit bash.

Tom 
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com