Building a coach yard

Started by nycjeff, May 26, 2024, 01:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Jeff,

The coach yard is looking good. Great to see it coming together. One day, maybe, I'll get around to mine.

Tom 
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

nycjeff

Hello Tom, it's nice to hear from you. I'm looking forward to your coach yard as well.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

nycjeff

Continuing on...

Another look at the back platform. I didn't put many detail castings on the long platforms because they won't be seen after the passenger cars are put back in place.

IMG_1179.JPG

A drone view of the coach yard with all of the pipes and platform details.

IMG_1180.JPG

A ground level view of the coach yard

IMG_1181.JPG

A closer look. There are more details on the front platform because this will be seen all the time. Many of the detail castings came from Details West. The quality of these castings is very high- there was little to none flash to clean up before painting.

IMG_1182.JPG

The cross track pipe rack was built with material from my styrene parts stash. I put it together with super glue and then painted it with a rattle can dark camo color and then weathered it with some pastel chalks. The bend in the red pipe is the flexible part of the drinking straw and the smaller pipe bend is a piece of plastic sprue painted to match the wood dowels.

IMG_1183.JPG
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

Keep It Rusty

nycjeff

Hello Craig, thanks for looking in and for the kind words.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

A closer look at the cross tracks pipe rack. I didn't want to continue the overhead pipes all the way to the engine service area boilerhouse, so I scratchbuilt a little structure with the pipes coming into the roof as if the rest of the pipes were underground. I don't know how prototypical this is but I'm applying Rule #1 here.

IMG_1184.JPG

Here is the front platform with passenger cars backed in. I'm glad that I shortened the height of the pipe stands, I think everything looks better with the pipes just above the roofs of the cars.

IMG_1185.JPG

A drone view of the coach yard with the cars. I'm very happy with how my coach yard came out. The area is still a storage place for my extra passenger cars on the layout where they can be seen and now the area has some purpose.

IMG_1186.JPG

Another look from above. The car roofs are more dusty than weathered, but to my mind they look good.

IMG_1187.JPG

A ground level look across the top of the coach yard. A final shot, I'm very happy with my coach yard. It's a nice addition to my layout and it's one that you don't see very often. Thanks again to Cliff Powers for the inspiration.

IMG_1188.JPG
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

craftsmankits

That came out really nice.  Might have to try that one day.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

nycjeff

Hello Mark and Greg, thank you for taking the time to comment on my coach yard project thread. It was a lot of fun to build and once again, I have to thank the amazing Cliff Powers for the inspiration.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

Jerry

Beautiful work!!  Great coloring on those pipes.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

nycjeff

Hello jerry, thanks for looking in and for the kind words. The pipes in my coach yard were flexible drinking straws and wooden skewers. I used rattle can flat red and grey primers as a base coat and then dry brushed several rust colors for the final look.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona