The Empire

Started by Zephyrus52246, August 31, 2014, 03:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

The plywood piece the yard ladder is on needed to be narrowed.  I also finished the subroadbed for the front part of the turnback loop.  The small piece in the back needs to be done, and the riser where the clamp is needs to be shortened, but I'll save that for tomorrow.

Jeff

Twist67

Hi,

Great work on the layout and that backdrop is looking fine.Nice clouds on the sky...

Cheers;Chris

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, Chris.  Well all the mainline roadbed is complete.  The first pic shows pieces not attached so I could futz with them.  Starting at the ends and meeting in the middle isn't as fun as it sounds, but it all worked.  My two new levels really helped.  The 2 foot digital saves trying to figure out if the bubble is really centered.  I saw the small one in John's build thread, and had to get one.  It really helps with the side to side leveling.  Thanks, John!  Next up to to fit the bridge into it's spot.  Where are those darn abutments?   :)

Jeff

ACL1504

Jeff,

I really like the main line and the location of the bridge. That will be one great scene.

Now, I've got to get one of those digital levels. I have the small one from Micro Mart already. Where did you get the two footer?

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, Tom.  The level is an Empire e100.24.  I think I got it on Amazon. It's listed today for $107.  The small one is from Amazon as well, and cheaper than the MicroMark one.   ;D  I'm still looking for the other bridge abutment.   >:(

Jeff

deemery

There are nice "level" applications for the iPhone, and presumably for Android.  They're a lot cheaper than $107 :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Zephyrus52246

But Dave, there are no two foot iPhones/Androids, but the way they're going with making them ever larger, maybe soon!   ;D I did think of using a phone level for small areas, but the little cube one works great.  I got some work done last week laying a couple of pieces of track with the aid of the "can train" and cutting the spot for the bridge.  I again had to use the Dremel and grind away some of the stone work on the abutments, but the bridge fits well now. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The dog has been very cooperative (read sleepy) today and I've gotten some work done.  I wired the curve and trains can now run into the room.  If you can't decide on passenger/freight, just run a mixed train.   ;D  Clearances were OK and no problems with the S Curve.  It can't run any further as I have no cab bus in here yet and I've taken Craig Bisgier's advice and made more power districts in case of a short.  The loco is just beyond an insulated connection.  I've got to get the wires that are hanging down to another circuit breaker and the reverser for the loop.   I have some Homabed attached and drying in place.  Next up is to fit the bridge and track in place. 

Jeff 

S&S RR

Looks great Jeff your are making good progress. I like the backdrops!
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

gnatshop

Ditto to John's comment - Lookin' Good!!!

Zephyrus52246

Thanks John and David.  The bridge is in, track laid up to the end of the bridge.  Power district wired to the two turnouts, the next section needs the circuit breaker installed and wiring done.  Got a cab bus plug in into here as well.  Able to run trains in the new room, for a few feet anyway.   :D That look from my assistant is her, "Wasn't I supposed to have my night time treat about thirty minutes ago?"  look.   ;D

Jeff

gnatshop

That look from your assistant says "them stinkin' trains ain't as purty as I am!".
Pay attention - sometime assistants get it right!!!

ranny9

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on February 15, 2015, 08:33:16 PM
Thanks John and David.  The bridge is in, track laid up to the end of the bridge.  Power district wired to the two turnouts, the next section needs the circuit breaker installed and wiring done.  Got a cab bus plug in into here as well.  Able to run trains in the new room, for a few feet anyway.   :D That look from my assistant is her, "Wasn't I supposed to have my night time treat about thirty minutes ago?"  look.   ;D

Jeff

Minus the couch, that could be a corner of my kitchen.

ACL1504

Jeff,

You are making great progress. I love the bridge area. I did order one of the two ft. digital levels from Amazon. It must be coming from the other side of the world. Amazon gave me a delivery date of the first week in March.

Tom
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, Tom.  Mine came within a week or so if I remember correctly.  Thanks for looking in, Randy.  The sofa is eventually going under where the bridge is, once the track and wiring are done there.  I needed an accessible shelf for the circuit breaker and reversing circuit.  It's made from scraps, but being able to slide it in and out makes wiring a lot easier.  You just have to make sure to leave the wires long enough to reach.   :D I made it quite large in case I need to put a booster in here eventually.

Jeff