Sandy Lake & Northern misc builds, etc.

Started by deemery, January 16, 2026, 12:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

Quote from: jbvb on September 15, 2026, 09:56:22 PMAre you working on steep slopes?  Most of the bushes on my layout are clumps of spongy "foliage" placed on a dot or smear of yellow carpenter's glue.  I make taller weeds by drilling a hole, putting a drop of yellow glue on it, then inserting fibers, usually the light yellow/brown color. I poke some down low, leave others vertical and trim after the glue has dried.

Yeah, but I also want taller trees on the slopes.  Hence the 'forestry' project.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

deemery

#151
The Cripplebush 'rubber rock castings' are the best on the market.  The owner is a geologist, and has a bunch of products for each kind of rock.  I'm using 'slate' pieces.  The long piece didn't quite fit the space, so I had to cut and piece it, leaving some gaps to fill. 

It was attached to the plaster wrap using hot glue.  Then I spray primed flat black (a technique I learned from Dave Frary).  After the primer dried, I went back and started filling in the gaps with plaster.  This'll take several sessions to get the gap filled without spreading to either side, and then probably some carving to match the strata.
IMG_1881.jpeg
I did make a bit of a mistake by not more precisely lining up the strata.  They should be parallel across the face, but there's a slight angle between the left casting and right casting. 

Then I'll paint to match the surrounding rocks.  As you can tell, this is in the front of the layout, so that's where the best stuff goes. 

update: Here's the cliff, after filling, shaping (steel brushes to add strata texture) and repriming:
IMG_1883.jpeg

This edge doesn't have the rubber rock, so it will need more work to get to match better.
IMG_1884.jpeg
My thought for this is to start with aluminum foil to add texture, pour a bit of plaster into the crumpled foil, then apply to the surface.  I'll add the strata (wire brushing and carving) after that plaster sets.  At least that's the plan right now.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

jbvb

Looks good. It's been a long time since the area you're modeling was under an ocean; The slight crookedness is very much par for the course in sedimentary rocks I've seen in Vermont and between Binghampton and Albany in NY.
James

deemery

Quote from: jbvb on Today at 06:48:10 PMLooks good. It's been a long time since the area you're modeling was under an ocean; The slight crookedness is very much par for the course in sedimentary rocks I've seen in Vermont and between Binghampton and Albany in NY.
Yeah, about 300m-400m years ago...  :o  This area is geologically more like Western PA/Allegheny Plateau than it is New England.  

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Powered by EzPortal