Horwood Brothers Gas, Oil and Service - Rail Scale Miniatures.

Started by ACL1504, February 15, 2026, 05:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on September 19, 2026, 03:29:09 PMTom

Great to see you back in the train room!!!

Here is my 2 cents on the curling / separation issue that you had.  When you had the train room closed up the materials saw temperatures / humidity changes that it didn't normally see when you were in the room all the time.

Every one of the materials you are using expands and contracts with temperature and humidity. When you glue a material like foam to a material like plywood the material that is not expanding as much tries to keep the material that is expanding more from expanding.  This makes the material sandwich curl. To make this more complicated the glue joint is expanding or contracting differently than the plywood and the foam.  I use the same construction but I brake the plywood into smaller pieces 18 inches by 36 inches is a big piece.  I glue the foam onto the plywood but I use smaller pieces of foam which gives me expansions joints. If you ever have one of the expansion joints show through to the topside scenery, use the Howard Zane cover it with a bush or scenery technique.

Okay that's all I got for 2 cents.  Give me a call if you want to dive into this deeper.

John
John,

What you said does make sense but it isn't the case here. I've clo0sed the train room for longer than this time with no issues. Also, I've had larger areas in the past glued and they never separated like this one.

My only guess is that I didn't allow enough time between the foam and cardboard gluing to thoroughly cure.

Thanks for the comments and for following along.

Tom
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Rick on September 20, 2026, 07:55:09 AMTom, two weeks should be more than enough time to remove the books.

Rick,

Yes, I agree the two weeks was certainly more than enough time.

I just had no energy to work or remove the books. They are still on the foam.  8)

Tom
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Larry C on September 21, 2026, 07:44:27 AMI think your safe on the book removal; hope it holds this time.

Larry, 

It is now almost a month and they are still on the foam. Just to damn tired with no energy to remove them at this time.

Tom
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on September 21, 2026, 09:19:21 AMSometimes it's one step forward and 2 steps back.....great job solving your latest problem.  ;)
Greg,

Thanks but in my case at this time, it's one step forward and then nap time.  ;D

I know this to shall pass.

Tom
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Powered by EzPortal