Horace and William Creek Sandhouse

Started by DACS, September 18, 2014, 12:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DACS

Today, I placed all the NBW's and painted and attempted to put some rust on the downspout.  I am not happy with the effect, so, it is up for a redo.

The downspout actually extends and retracts.  But, I am not going to animate it, and yes, the tower is leaning backwards.  It is not permanently attached yet.  That is the absolute last thing that will be done.

Sorry, too much light and overexposure in the next pic.

Still to be done:  Add the sand pipe from the sandhouse to the receiver.  Add the bracing for same.  Build counterweight and mechanism/with chain.  Finish the access door on the bin side.  Add NBW's on opposite side of bin.  Make and fasten the lever rod in place. 
Once all this is finished, it is time to permanently fasten down the roof and the tower to the actual building.   Oh, and I almost forgot, redo the downspout.

Dave   HWCRR
Seattle
I am never having another birthday.  The candles for the cake are starting to cost too much!

DACS

I placed it on a diorama board that I already have used with the oil bunker.  Just made a few small changes.  It is not mounted.  Just posing.

Dave   HWCRR
Seattle

I am never having another birthday.  The candles for the cake are starting to cost too much!

DACS

I got up early this a.m. and went right to work on the tower.  I have refinished the downspout, which still needs to be weathered.  I added the valve activation rod.  As I said earlier in the thread, I am following the D&RG model for my tower, but, I am not making it an exact copy.
For my counterweight system, I am going to have two weights with a rope drop as my counterweights.  The black bracket on top of the receiver is for mounting the pulleys.

Dave   HWCRR
Seattle

DACS

Slowly but surely, the sandhouse is nearing completion.

Next, I will be adding the sand delivery piping to the top of the receiver, along with its' bracing.

Dave  HWCRR
Seattle

deemery

Thats some first-class modeling, including the scenery.  The spilled sand looks just right!  The only thought I have is the edges of the "shovel opening" look too much like raw wood.  Seems to me they would have weathered to a darker color.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

DACS

Dave, thank you for the great critique. and, you are absolutely correct on the wood appearing unweathered.  I just haven't gotten there yet.  I still have to place framing around the hatch and put a door which swings upward, which will have a support rod to hold it open.  I will be building it in the open position.
I also have yet, to make the downspout pulleys and counterweights.

Dave  HWCRR
Seattle

S&S RR

Quote from: DACS on October 03, 2014, 07:13:00 PM
Dave, thank you for the great critique. and, you are absolutely correct on the wood appearing unweathered.  I just haven't gotten there yet.  I still have to place framing around the hatch and put a door which swings upward, which will have a support rod to hold it open.  I will be building it in the open position.
I also have yet, to make the downspout pulleys and counterweights.

Dave  HWCRR
Seattle
Dave
Great looking build! The build isn't done until you say it's done.  And then it's still not done. It's just part of the hobby.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

DACS

Thank you John.  Yes, nothing is ever done, is it?

Here are some more pics for everyone to peruse of where it's all at.  Not much further, but just a few more of the detail shots.

Still gotta put some rust on this puppy.

Here is a perfect example of not ever seeming to get done.  Notice, I had forgotten to put the NBW's in the bin supports!  Fixed now!

Enjoy!

Dave   HWCRR
Seattle

Chet

deemery

I've run out of things to complain about :-) :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

DACS

Chet, Dave and Jamie.  Thank you very much for your comments.

Dave, don't worry about critique.  Sometimes it brings attention to things that can be improved upon. 

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
The pics actually bring my attention to things I have overlooked.  For some reason, pictures bring out everything, where the eyes seem to miss.

Anyway, about three weeks ago, my son found this very small casting of a valve.  I have no clue where it belonged as I had never seen it before.  Well, it sat on my sub-woofer for my home theater system for at least a month.  Every time I saw it, I would try to remember what it belonged to.  No luck!
Well today,  I figured out what to do with this little tidbit of detail.

The sand house needs a fuel system for the heater that dries the sand.  So here it is.

Break time!

Dave   HWCRR
Seattle

ACL1504

Really very nice! Like Dave, I'm also running out of things to say about the build.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

bparrish

Dave. 

What a great photogenic and believable scene. 

Very cool.

See ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?