The Lost Delta Boathouse ( from Disneyland's Jungle Cruise )

Started by robert goslin, August 04, 2026, 01:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert goslin

I've now made the left side walls section.  I'm using Grandtline "stick" porch rail #3555 for this side balcony railing.
Whilst not a match for the Disney prototype, it's still a bit fancy so will suffice.

So I cut down the 3 sections of railing to appropriate lengths and this then gave me the distance I needed between the posts. The prototype has 4 sections, but I'm selectively compressing mine to three. And again used styrene for the stepped trim.


Then added the clapboard siding in between as needed.  No, that bit with the grey card showing is not a doorway.  It will be covered by the ticket booth.


All painted up, and attached to the tower.  Was quite fiddly to do.
At least now it's starting to look like a building


Close up of the balcony


Left end section to which I've added a window.


And have added in the 1st level floor using 1.5mm balsa sheet


And the upright interior rattan wall section, just temporarily sitting in place, to see if I like it.
Just printed pattern glued to card
Regards  Rob
Melbourne,  Australia
Borrow money from pessimists – they don't expect it back

Rick


NEMMRRC


robert goslin

Thanks Rick  & Jaime.  Yep I'm really happy that I'm getting very close to the look of the Disneyland structure.  I'm constantly referring back to lots of photos folks have posted on the internet.
Regards  Rob
Melbourne,  Australia
Borrow money from pessimists – they don't expect it back

robert goslin

I've now made the little ticket booth that sits out the front. Board & batten for the walls and used rope for the frond style roof.  Still needs to a sign.



Regards  Rob
Melbourne,  Australia
Borrow money from pessimists – they don't expect it back


robert goslin

Regards  Rob
Melbourne,  Australia
Borrow money from pessimists – they don't expect it back

robert goslin

I've now made up the right side front facade. Same method used as the left side.
However, the balcony railing trim is different.  On the prototype the left side railing trim is fancy whereas the right side is plain so I've replicated this look using Grandtline Porch & Lanai Rail #3549



Then completed the rest of the wall section & painted it.
I'm having an entrance on the corner, which is my own idea, not on the Disney version.


Then attached it to the right side of the tower.  The right side facade is set back further than the left, as per the prototype.


Now it's really starting to look like the Disney building. Here you can see the two different types of balcony trim I used. (Refer back to the prototype pics)


Inside I have now added more balsa sheet to complete the upper floor.
There is also a cut-out in it so I can add a staircase.


Trial fit of the staircase I made using a Rusty Stumps staircase kit


Still need to finish painting the remaining interior walls
Regards  Rob
Melbourne,  Australia
Borrow money from pessimists – they don't expect it back

Mark Dalrymple

Looking great, Rob.

Lots of fun.  Is the Rusty Stump stairway kit good?

Cheers, Mark.

robert goslin

Thanks Mark.  Yes, Mucho fun.  That's what it, or should be, all about.

Yes the Rusty Stumps stair case kit is great. I got a whole sheet of stringers and a whole sheet of treads, and have been using it on several of my O scale builds.
I also have the jig, made out of resin, so everything aligns properly.

Rusty Stumps sold out to Rail Scale Miniatures several years ago, but you can get the RS kits still or RSM have their own.  All available in N, HO, S and O scale.

here's a link to their stair kits in all the scales.
https://www.rail-scale-models.com/search.php
Regards  Rob
Melbourne,  Australia
Borrow money from pessimists – they don't expect it back

Rick

Rob, it's looking good and turning into a large structure.
How big will the mini exhibition layout be?

robert goslin

#26
Thanks Rick.  yep, quite a long structure.  Once the roof is on should be about 13" long.

The layout will be built the same size as I did my Mexican layout, so in two sections
so I can get it all in my car, a Mazda CX5.

So the main part of the layout with the river & boat, and the train circling and the mountains will be:-
1400mm / 4'7" long x 640mm / 25" deep.
Then an extension bolts on to the main layout which will have the boathouse, and other structures for the village, will be:-
450mm / long x 640 / 25" deep

So total is 6'1" long x 25" deep.

Here's a picture of my Mexican layout so you can see how the two sections join together, so same idea, as I know that will all fit.
Regards  Rob
Melbourne,  Australia
Borrow money from pessimists – they don't expect it back


robert goslin

Regards  Rob
Melbourne,  Australia
Borrow money from pessimists – they don't expect it back

robert goslin

I've been a bit caught up with real life things this week, but have finally manged to get back to doing something on the boathouse.

I always like adding lighting to my structures, and am always inspired when I see Ensign Greg's lighting works.  So I'm using 3v LEDs with 1k resistors attached as needed. That way I can hook them up to a 12v power supply.  11 lights added so far, but some are string lights.  I managed not to blow up any lights this time.

This week I've started adding the roofs. And I've also adding lots of interior lights so had to work out the best way to add them and get the wiring in.
Other exterior light will be added once the structure is finished.  That way I don't have to work on the structure with too many wires hanging down.

So here's the front facade long roof added.  I also made up the overhanging roof of the tower which was quite fiddly due to compound angles.



The lights for the towers middle & top floors will eventually be mostly hidden when I add windows to the top floor and shutters to the middle floor.


The sign is not glued on as yet.


And this is the lighting for the rear of the structure.
The wires wont be visible once the roof is on.




Rear roof temporarily attached.






Once the rear roof is on I can start adding all the open frame posts & supports to the back of the structure.
Regards  Rob
Melbourne,  Australia
Borrow money from pessimists – they don't expect it back

Powered by EzPortal