Pratt's Cove

Started by Larry C, August 29, 2026, 03:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert goslin

Looks great Larry. Definitely adding the extra details will take your boat to the next level.
I knew very little about boats before I started building them.
I did a lot of research, especially learning the terminology to use, as I figured some boaty expert would call me out.  On the old RRL forums, Frank Palmer was a big help as he worked on Fishing Trawlers for 16 years.
But at the end of the day, if it looks like a reasonable representation of a boat, that's good enough for me.
Regards  Rob
Melbourne,  Australia
Borrow money from pessimists – they don't expect it back

Larry C

Quote from: PRR Modeler on October 06, 2026, 02:32:48 PMGreat job on the boat and the diorama.

Curt thank you; much appreciated.

Quote from: robert goslin on October 06, 2026, 06:01:28 PMLooks great Larry. Definitely adding the extra details will take your boat to the next level.
I knew very little about boats before I started building them.
I did a lot of research, especially learning the terminology to use, as I figured some boaty expert would call me out.  On the old RRL forums, Frank Palmer was a big help as he worked on Fishing Trawlers for 16 years.
But at the end of the day, if it looks like a reasonable representation of a boat, that's good enough for me.

Rob thank you. I figured it doesn't hurt to learn something new every so often. I appreciate your direction on this build. I used to watch a show called the "Deadliest Catch" on the Discovery channel; they were brave souls.
Current Projects: Pratt's Cove
                           
http://www.ussvigilant.blogspot.com

Rick

It's looking real good Larry.

cuse

beautiful work Larry!

Larry C

Quote from: Rick on October 07, 2026, 07:43:03 AMIt's looking real good Larry.

Thanks Rick, little at a time.

Quote from: cuse on October 07, 2026, 07:27:02 PMbeautiful work Larry!


Thank you this is new territory for me.
Current Projects: Pratt's Cove
                           
http://www.ussvigilant.blogspot.com

friscomike

Howdy Larry,

The boat and wharf are looking good. The bracing on the walls looks prototypical.  Nice work.

Have fun,
mike

Larry C

Quote from: friscomike on October 08, 2026, 09:02:51 AMHowdy Larry,

The boat and wharf are looking good. The bracing on the walls looks prototypical.  Nice work.

Have fun,
mike

Thanks Mike.
Current Projects: Pratt's Cove
                           
http://www.ussvigilant.blogspot.com

kyle creel

Just getting caught up; looks fantastic....So now in addition to an amazing modeler, you're also a 'shipwright', :o er, uh, 'boatwright'......I love it.. ;D  ;D  ;D  ;) ............

KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.

Larry C

Quote from: kyle creel on October 08, 2026, 10:16:20 AMJust getting caught up; looks fantastic....So now in addition to an amazing modeler, you're also a 'shipwright', :o er, uh, 'boatwright'......I love it.. ;D  ;D  ;D  ;) ............

KYLE CREEL
IMMR & T Co.

Thank you Kyle although I can't take all the credit. I've had some input from some very talented and knowledgeable fellow modelers on boat building; something new for me.
Current Projects: Pratt's Cove
                           
http://www.ussvigilant.blogspot.com

Larry C

IMG_041.jpg

Been working on the "wheelhouse" trying to get it to look right in contrast to the rest of the boat. On my first attempt I made it too narrow so I had to redo the front. Nothing fancy just a basic place to pilot the boat. Ended up making the wheelhouse 6ft wide and 4ft. deep with a 1ft. overhang on the back of the roof. The frame is made from 1x4's colored with chalks and clear alcohol to match the deck. Use 1x6's for the front and side wood. Decided to go with a tomato red craft paint with white for the trim just to give the boat a little pop of color.

IMG_042.jpg

Here's the front view with about 2ft. on each side between the hull and the wheelhouse; plenty of room for the LP's to squeeze by. I did add an acetate window to the front but I still need to figure out what to put on the double card roof. Nothing's glued down yet while I figure out what I want to use for details and get them ordered. So now I'll set the boat aside while I start adding some details for the building.

IMG_043.jpg

The "jib crane" is the first detail I started with because I wanted it in a certain spot then I can work the other items around that. I have to tell you this thing gave be fits building it. Some of the parts were so small the only way to assemble was to use my curved tweezers trying NOT to launch them into "never never land." I did revamp the area with the hook only because the kit one was impossible to assemble and look right. When the crane was assembled I used use a dark brown chalk w/ clear alcohol to color it then used a diluted rust color for weathering; I may go back with some black to get the "new look" off the chain.

IMG_044.jpg

This shows how the crane extends over the boat. This will be used to pick up the lobster boxes off the deck and swing them onto the dock.

Next I'll continue on the building details plus order the boat ones. Thanks for stopping by and for all your great comments and all those great suggestions; they do help.

Current Projects: Pratt's Cove
                           
http://www.ussvigilant.blogspot.com

PRR Modeler

Very nice diorama and a very credible first time building a boat.

Just a thought... paint the hull top edge the tomato red like the bridge area. FWIW.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Jerry

Larry that is the one hell of a diorama!!!
For sure your best work yet!!

And wonderful work on a first time boat build.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

robert goslin

Hi Larry.  As Curt mentioned, definitely add a stripe along the top edge, or even down slightly to give the hull some more visual appearance. And don't forget a name.

The wheelhouse looks just the right size.  For the roof you could just scribe in some plank lines, or cover it with tar paper.  Not sure what you intend to add to the top of the roof.  I at least always add port & starboard navigation lights, even if they are just dummy ones. 


If you wish, you can also add a small spot light and horn.
Regards  Rob
Melbourne,  Australia
Borrow money from pessimists – they don't expect it back

Rick

Very nice Larry.
You've already gotten some good tips here.

Powered by EzPortal