KC's Workshop, Grumpy's Cafe - 2021 Build Challenge.

Started by ACL1504, January 01, 2021, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

My choice for this year's challenge is a special kit by Kenny Crump of KC's Workshop. My build will be of Grumpy's Cafe.

It is Kenny's rendition of the Riff Raff Cafe on the F&SM. I believe Kenny still offers this kit upon request only. At least it is still on his site but I think they are SOLD OUT.

https://kcworkshop.com/products/by-request-fsm-tribute-grumpys-cafe-ho-scale

This is not a full kit, by design, as the kit comes with no instructions or casting like roof vents, etc. Footprint is approximately 3.5" X 5.5".

The photos of the kit were copied by me off Kenny's website. I added some brightness and contrast to the photos.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Between John Siekirk and me, we have close to 3,500 photos from the F&SM. Oddly enough, I couldn't find any of the Riffraff Cafe in any of the photos. I did find a partial shot but I was taking a photo of another structure.

Again, here is a photo I copied and changed from Kenny's photo sheet. This is the F&SM Riffraff Cafe.

More on this build tomorrow.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Keep It Rusty

Tom, I've been debating to buy this kit for some time.

I'm super keen to see your progress and build of this.

I'm all in, Baby.

Bruce Oberleitner

That looks like it's going to be a fun kit to build Tom.  Consider me onboard for the ride.  Do you happen to have a spot in mind for this Gem on the layout?

Raymo

Mark Dalrymple

Looks like a neat kit, Tom.

I looked through my photos but couldn't find anything.  I think John has posted all mine, anyway.  The one thing I did notice is just how many bar and grills there are on the F&SM!  People sure like eating out there! 

Cheers, Mark.

MAP

I'll be following along as well.  Neat looking building.
Mark

NEMMRRC

It's always been so challenging to keep the riff-raff out of this forum and now this ...

LOL  ;D  LOL  ;D

It's odd how I have been to the F&SM several times and made many photos of the layout but I never paid attention to what the structures are called. The only structure I know by name us the Y. B. Fardy (Makers of Gastorex) building Maybe that says more about me than the layout  :)

I'm looking forward to this one. Thanks for sharing.

Jaime

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Looks like I'll be looking in on another Langford build.....any truth to the rumor about the naming of the cafe?  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Looks like a fun build.  You know I'm on board for this one.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Quote from: Rusty Robot on January 01, 2021, 06:29:53 PM
Tom, I've been debating to buy this kit for some time.

I'm super keen to see your progress and build of this.

I'm all in, Baby.

Craig,

Thank you for following along. I have several changes in mind which I'll be sharing as the build progresses.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Bruce Oberleitner on January 01, 2021, 07:07:53 PM
That looks like it's going to be a fun kit to build Tom.  Consider me onboard for the ride.  Do you happen to have a spot in mind for this Gem on the layout?

Cousin Brucie,

Good to see you my friend. I do have a location in mind. I'd show you but it is currently covered with scenery material from the river work.

Thanks for following along.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Raymo on January 01, 2021, 07:08:31 PM
Sweet! Your going to do a great job as usual..

Dan,

Appreciate you checking in on this one. Now you have me under some pressure. No problemo!

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: mark dalrymple on January 01, 2021, 07:10:41 PM
Looks like a neat kit, Tom.

I looked through my photos but couldn't find anything.  I think John has posted all mine, anyway.  The one thing I did notice is just how many bar and grills there are on the F&SM!  People sure like eating out there! 

Cheers, Mark.

Cheers, Mark,

I'm looking forward to this one as I have several changes in mind. I see some issues with George's build I want to correct.

I found a partial photo of Riffraff's but not a very good straight on photo.

This structure isn't even listed on John's Index for the F&SM -

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com