Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

Do it as a landslide that mostly buries the tunnel portal :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

bparrish

John....  consider hand laying some derelict track coming out of the tunnel and turning toward the current right of way but not connecting to it.  Then model back in the hole a cave in that a visitor really has to hunt for. 

On the UP. right of way near a place in eastern Oregon called Lime, the is a tunnel through a hill with two holes on one side and only one on the other.  Solution........  the original tunnel caved in 1928 at one end so the dug a new one next to it that is still in service. 

There is a orototype for everything. 

See ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on May 04, 2018, 04:35:31 PM
Do it as a landslide that mostly buries the tunnel portal :-)

dave

That is an interesting idea. I need to see how much real-estate is evadable after I lay in the structures I want to add in this area. We are having fun now.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: bparrish on May 04, 2018, 05:06:26 PM
John....  consider hand laying some derelict track coming out of the tunnel and turning toward the current right of way but not connecting to it.  Then model back in the hole a cave in that a visitor really has to hunt for. 

On the UP. right of way near a place in eastern Oregon called Lime, the is a tunnel through a hill with two holes on one side and only one on the other.  Solution........  the original tunnel caved in 1928 at one end so the dug a new one next to it that is still in service. 

There is a orototype for everything. 

See ya
Bob

Bob

Another interesting idea. If it stays there will be some very old bent up track work that got rearranged in the landslide. It will all get worked out at the drafting table. Thank you for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of my new favorite tool.  I know I have posted pictures of this before but if your doing scenery work with real dirt buy one.  It's called a mortar and pestle and it turns sand or dirt that is to coarse for HO scale into nice fine dirt "that looks right" on less than a minute.  Here is a before picture.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is what it look like after about a minute being ground with the mortar and pestle. It looks so much better on the layout.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

And finally for todays update, here is a progress shot of the dirt being added around my Mackenzie's and Brambell's builds. Lots of details to add but the basic ground form will be done when the glue dries.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

We have a design change in progress - the hole in the fence is going to be filled.  I was going to have a road running down the hill but decided against it. Small stones will be added to match the talus on the hill after the fence is installed.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I'm building fences today - I have some time in that box full of sticks.  I'm ready for some gluing.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

A few weeks ago, we had a discussion about building a jig to hold the laser cut templates from Rusty Stumps so you can use them upside down for holding joists for gluing.  I said I would post some pictures of my jig the next time I used it so here we go.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

This works great. So much faster and better than using a template under glass.  I'm building a small loading dock for my S&S RR Locomotive works.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture with the deck boards drying. This loading dock is longer than the jig so I will glue the joists down to the deck boards in two steps. The third template is just set in the jig for the picture.

John Siekirk

Dave K.

Love the town tribute names...structures are looking fantastic in their places.👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

S&S RR

Quote from: Dave K. on May 11, 2018, 06:37:14 AM
Love the town tribute names...structures are looking fantastic in their places.👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Dave

Thank you for stopping by the thread and the kind words. I'm enjoying the design work that will setup my structure building schedule for years to come.
John Siekirk

Jerry

Just getting caught up again John.

Beautiful scene love your rock work and details.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln