The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Of course every decision to make a change has some sort of consequence that follows.

The track leading to the turntable and roundhouse area will have to be realigned.

Time to fire up the grill so I'll finish this portion later this afternoon or early evening.

Happy Independence every one.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

In order to remove the ballast, track and cork roadbed, I filled a spray bottle with warm water.

The water was sprayed on the track and ballast and let stand for about 15 minutes. The warm water softened the matte medium used to hold the ballast.

I simply lifted the track from the ballast and roadbed.

More in a few.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

While the ballast was still wet, I used a putty knife and removed the wet ballast.

The wet ballast was dumped in a box and placed in file 13. 8)

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Normally I wouldn't try to save the cork roadbed. However, this section of roadbed was shaved down to the plywood level. I didn't want to have to do it again.

I refilled the water bottle with some fresh warm water and sprayed it on the edges of the cork. I let this soak for about 20 minutes and started to remove the cork.

To do this I used a sharp wood chisel.

Using the chisel beveled edge down, I slid it under the cork and slowly pried up the cork.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I carefully bent the cork over onto itself as I went.

Once the cork was up, I soaked it in the utility sink and used a toothbrush to remove the rest of the glue from the bottom of the cork. The cork was then set in the sun to dry.

When the plywood area was dry the excess cork and glue was sanded smooth.

More tomorrow afternoon.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

MAP

Lots of progress since my son and I visited Tom....looking good!  I did notice that you hadn't installed the Lexan yet....I thought it was a test you were giving my son and I to see if we were the Hurricane Twins!  I think that Walther's brick streets will look really impressive and will add another point of interest with it being a different type of road you're adding to the layout.
Mark

ACL1504

Quote from: MAP on July 05, 2019, 07:49:28 AM
Lots of progress since my son and I visited Tom....looking good!  I did notice that you hadn't installed the Lexan yet....I thought it was a test you were giving my son and I to see if we were the Hurricane Twins!  I think that Walther's brick streets will look really impressive and will add another point of interest with it being a different type of road you're adding to the layout.

Mark,

Yes, lots of progress since your visit. Also, I wanted you and Charlie to see the Suwannee River, Piney Woods and the Perkin's Farm with orange trees areas without the Lexan.

The brick street came out nice. Oh wait, I haven't posted that part of the thread yet. Later today though. ;D ;D

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Once the Floquil Oxide Red cured, I painted the stones next to the rail pit with Floquil Aged Concrete. I then dry brushed onto the brick street pieces some Floquil Boxcar Red, Southern Freight Car Brown and Terra Cotta.

I then added a very light A&I wash, Hunterline Driftwood, onto the brick streets. When dry, I noticed some of the dry brushing colors darkened to the point of not being able to tell they were applied. I'll go over them later with some pastels.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I soldered two sections of code 83 flex track together, measured the length I needed (five feet and four inches) and removed those ties.

In the next photo you can see I have the rails in place next to the turnout. These rails need to be soldered but I can't do it with the plastic street in place.

I took two rail joiners, cut them in half, and soldered the rails together.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then added glue to the bottom of the street section, slid it under the rails and into place as shown below.

I did this with the other five sections of street. At this point the rails are still loose in the street sections.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I curved the end piece of flex track to see where and how much of the pink foam needed to be removed.

It is a 36" radius curve.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I'll fast forward here and say I removed the offending foam, added the "new" old cork roadbed and a section of new code 83 flex track.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

ACL1504

Dennis,

Thank you, much appreciated. I'll add some pastel weathering later.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dennis Bourey

Tom, Thanks. How will you attach the rail's?.........Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)