The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on March 05, 2020, 09:24:40 PM
Pictures doesn't do it justice.

Curt,

Thank you. I hope your wife is doing better and the Drs. let her leave the hospital.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: sdrees on March 05, 2020, 09:27:48 PM
Hey Tom, the pictures are just great, the scenery is outstanding.  WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve,

Thank you for the kind compliment on the scenery. Other than structure building it is my second favorite thing to work on.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

ACL1504

Quote from: mark dalrymple on March 06, 2020, 12:54:50 PM
What a transformation!

Cheers, Mark.

Cheers Mark,

Thank you. When I look at old photos its amazing how far and how much I've done in 6 years.

Appreciate you stopping by.

Tom ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I can't speak for other layout owners but the one thing I like least about having a layout is problem solving or trouble shooting. I guess they are the same.

Two weeks ago during one of our usual SBG sessions, four Tortoise switch motors stopping working. Since all four were on the same Digitrax DS-64 it was easy to assume it wasn't the motors. The four turnouts were numbers 301-304. No, I don't have three hundred Tortoise motors on the layout.

I figured it would be easier to "trouble shoot" if I kept it simple. So, all Tortoise motors on the second level, known as The Midlands, are numbered in the 200 series starting with 201. On the third level, known as Summit, all Tortoise motors are numbered in the 300 series starting with 301.

This past week I checked the DS-64 and didn't find it hot or burnt smelling. The light was on indicating it had power yet still not working.

Apparently the decoder stopped working. I have some from  Bill Cutler so I "permanently" borrowed one for a replacement.

I had to reprogram the decoder to #s 301-304 and all is well now and operational.

The Digitrax Stationary Decoder retails for $59.99. I'll send this one back to Digitrax and for $25.00 they will make the repair and send it back thus saving a few $$.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Pesky computers will get you when you least expect it..... >:(
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

deemery

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 06, 2020, 05:04:38 PM

They're equipped with an "urgency-of-need sensor" that causes failure when you most need it!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

GPdemayo

Quote from: deemery on March 06, 2020, 07:33:48 PM

They're equipped with an "urgency-of-need sensor" that causes failure when you most need it!

dave

Why am I the last to find, I never got the memo.....oh darn.  :o
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Greg,

Yes, they do and so do your friends who come down and change the screen on MY COMPUTER!

Tom :-\
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on March 06, 2020, 07:33:48 PM

dave

Dave,

Yea, but this one I didn't need. ;D ;D

Tom 8)

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on March 07, 2020, 06:07:09 PM

Greg,

Yes, they do and so do your friends who come down and change the screen on MY COMPUTER!

As I recall, nothing was changed..... ???
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 08, 2020, 10:15:03 AM
Quote from: ACL1504 on March 07, 2020, 06:07:09 PM

Greg,

As I recall, nothing was changed..... ???

Okay, my bad this time. :P

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I won't be doing much on the layout for the next two months or so. I'm in the process of brass loco painting so I want to finish that project first.

I will be adding a little here and there but not much.

I will try to keep the Throw Back Thursday part updated.

Here is what I didn't get done last Thursday.

Three years ago I repaired Frank Baker's Erie 2-8-4 loco. I made several test runs on the layout. In the video of three years ago you can see I only had track down and no scenery.

Before -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNRjL7uIEbU

Same scene three years later. After -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmbiJo9ERB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnKXDR9BZGQ
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

madharry

Truly awesome scenery Tom. I love the trees. Just one thing was the Mikado more powerful than the Berkshire as it was hauling a much longer train????? 8)
Mike

ACL1504

Quote from: madharry on March 24, 2020, 08:49:33 AM
Truly awesome scenery Tom. I love the trees. Just one thing was the Mikado more powerful than the Berkshire as it was hauling a much longer train? ??? ? 8)
Mike

Mike,

Thank you for the scenery compliment, much appreciated.

The Berk is the more powerful loco for sure but both were pulling on the Tahope Flatlands. 8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com