The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

A look at the north side above the river area.

I used the 4' level and marked a space where the 1/2" hole will be drilled on the underside of the 1X3.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

nycjeff

Hello Tom, I am very impressed with all the work and effort by you to help your friend's wife sell off his railroad items. You are a great ambassador for our hobby and a fine gentleman.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

ACL1504

Okay, measure twice and drill hole once.  :-X

Hole drilled in the second level benchwork. The washer will give me some support for the nut on the rod.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: nycjeff on November 12, 2020, 05:49:38 PM
Hello Tom, I am very impressed with all the work and effort by you to help your friend's wife sell off his railroad items. You are a great ambassador for our hobby and a fine gentleman.   Jeff

Jeff,

Thank you for the very kind comment. I've known Jim and Claire Miller for nearly 50 years. We all agreed to help each other if and when the time came.

Jim is one of the original Saturday Butty Group members. We used to meet once a month on Saturday but as time passed we have not been as active as in the past. The Judge still comes every Saturday.

Our original group members are Tom Langford (ACL1504), Bob Butts (Reading Bob), Bill Eaton (The Judge), Jim Miller (Jimmillho), Greg DeMayo (Greg DeMayo) and John Mancuso (Cuse). A few years ago we added Bill and Kris Cutler (PennsyJ1) and Curt Webb (PRR Modeler).

Thank you again, I'm happy to help Claire. This is the second estate I've help liquidate in the past two years.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The rod was installed and checked for being level. I used the nuts on the threaded shaft to level the benchwork. The weight of the benchwork and plywood  holds it all in place.

Now this end of the benchwork is level.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

By tightening or loosing this nut, the benchwork can be raised or lowered to level. I could also use the top nut to achieve the same result.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I put the pink foam back around the area. It will be covered by scenery later.

I did the other side in the same way. When done, I made the final adjustments to the nuts to achieve level benchwork.

Level, north, south, east and west.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Great progress Tom. It wouldn't dare be not level. ;D You are sure speaking the truth about level benchwork. I have seen how much easier level benchwork is when laying track.

Have you put the river in yet?

I would sure love to come down and see you guys but I'm in the same type situation as Bob. :( (with daughter and grandkids).
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

jerryrbeach

Tom,

I think I speak for everyone when I say it is great to have you back working on the A&S!
Jerry

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Jim Donovan

Tom;

Great seeing you the other day and love the tread, glad to see another section underway.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

ReadingBob

Great to see some layout progress Tom.  I know you've been busy with lot's of different things.  Sure wish I could get down there for a visit but I just can't risk it while my wife's working in an elementary school (aka petri dish).  The stories I hear make me shudder.  Might be able to slip one in at the end of her X-Mas break when I know she hasn't been at work for a couple of weeks. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on November 12, 2020, 06:59:34 PM
Great progress Tom. It wouldn't dare be not level. ;D You are sure speaking the truth about level benchwork. I have seen how much easier level benchwork is when laying track.

Have you put the river in yet?

I would sure love to come down and see you guys but I'm in the same type situation as Bob. :( (with daughter and grandkids).

Curt,

Thank you. We will all get together when the time is right.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on November 13, 2020, 07:18:43 AM
Tom,

I think I speak for everyone when I say it is great to have you back working on the A&S!

Jerry,

Thanks for the comment and encouragement. I'm very happy to be back working on the layout. As they say in France, "Je suis content"!

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com