Gusano Loco build

Started by Zephyrus52246, January 19, 2024, 04:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

I needed something to build while watching playoff football, so started this kit.  It's Gusano Loco from FOS.  Stripwood, siding, signs, instructions windows, roofing and some water putty to make stucco.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I sanded the siding edges so they are even and removed the burn marks.  Then it was bracing time.  There's usually not enough bracing included (there actually is in this kit), so I used some of my stash of bracing as it's large and will hopefully prevent warping (it didn't, but it's a nice thought).  After my last kit warped horizontally, I did bracing horizontally and vertically. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I stained the walls with the Hunterline stain.  While they were drying I cut out the windows and doors, filing their edges smooth.  They then were washed with soap and water and rinsed and allowed to dry for later painting.  

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I also stained the strip wood, using this tray which is an "Olive tray" for serving olives at your fancy parties. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I then painted the siding using thinned Polly S acrylic dark green.  The tops of the walls, which are exposed by the roof and have no bracing warped, though I stained both sides as well as the small wall with the door and window. The single door wall warped the least.  That's where were at today.

Jeff

ACL1504

Jeff,

Great start to this great little kit. I have it on the A&S RR. It was a fun build.

I'm along for the ride.

Tom
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jerry

Jeff great start!

Does the wife know about the Olive Dish yet???  ;)

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

GPdemayo

Interesting looking structure Jeff.....I'll be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Zephyrus52246

Thanks for following, Tom. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, Jerry.  I bought the olive tray for this purpose.  My wife doesn't like olives anyway.   :)

Zephyrus52246

Hi, Greg.  Thanks for following along.

Jeff

Jim Donovan

Jeff, great start. I use the same Olive tray but mine is not as clean by half.

Jim
Holland & Odessa Railroad

PRR Modeler

Great start and I'll be following.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

Nice start, Jeff.

I get my wife to bring home the plastic ruler containers from school - they are the perfect size for staining stripwood.

Cheers, Mark

jerryrbeach

Jeff,

I'm late to the party, but I'll be following along, too.  Looks good thus far, and I see you are really putting that sander to good use.

Jerry
Jerry