Sheepscot Autocar C-90 for the A&S Railroad.

Started by Raymo, June 15, 2015, 05:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymo

I've decided to go with Sheepscot's coal delivery body on this build. This is a nice clean casting that just needs a little detailing. I've started by making a headboard out of 1/8 and 3/16 strip styrene

Raymo

On the back I've added a chute made from styrene and a door from a piece of Alloy Forms diamond plate. A piece of wire and an eyebolt make up the handle

bparrish

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Raymo

I went back to the frame and added a battery box and a toolbox,also details available from Sheepscot, ahead of the rear wheels. Small I-beam and channel make up the detail that would be the scissor lift on the real thing. Also a small piece of styrene was added under the cab to make it sit level to the frame.

Raymo

Now we have the truck at this point, Time for the paint shop.

coors2u

Dan, I try to make all my vehicles as nice as yours. I'm glad that you post here so I have something to compare to.
Dustin

donatode

Outstanding ..... just OUTSTANDING!!!!  Raymo.

Raymo

Quote from: coors2u on June 24, 2015, 05:09:53 PM
Dan, I try to make all my vehicles as nice as yours. I'm glad that you post here so I have something to compare to.
Thanks Dustin. I hope my Tichy crane comes out as nice as yours when I build it. ;D

Raymo

Raymo

The Autocar made it to the paint shop for a coat of primer. I'm not sure if I covered it in the video (I think I did), but the primer and paint coats need to be applied in very light coats. If you apply it to thick, your truck will look like someone used it for target practice with an H.O. scale shotgun. I've discussed this with George Barrett, and we agreed this is the only solution to the problem. It has something to do with the curing process of the resin. I lucked out with this cab as only a few showed up on the door.

Raymo

This photo shows the pinholes a little better.

Raymo

martin.ojaste

Hmm, those pin holes are worrying.

It looks like the resin had microscopic bubbles that the paint solvent managed to find and soak into. Did the resin have a hard shell-like finish? Did you sand before and after the priming? Any suggestions on how to avoid it.

Marty

ReadingBob

Very, very nice Dan.  Your builds are superb.  I notice you're using Floquil Primer.  What do you plan on using when you run out of that?  I ask because I'm running low.  I'll use Floquil Earth next, I have several bottles of that, but sooner or later I need to find something else to use.  :(
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.