GPdemayo

What happens when you get it finished.....are you going to pull a Langford?  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

S&S RR

Frank

This looks like another great project - I will be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Erieman

Quote from: S&S RR on January 13, 2016, 08:53:23 AM
Frank

This looks like another great project - I will be following along.

Good Morning John,

Yup, another structure project to keep me off the streets. I am not building it like the directions, but using some of what I learned from East End Market. The biggest difference is the board by board exterior of the building. S-l-o-w  g-o-i-n-g when you do board by board. I'll post a picture later today. Sounds like you have made a change to your project. Any pics?

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

Quote from: GPdemayo on January 13, 2016, 08:20:12 AM

Good Morning Greg,

No such luck and you are not going to like the answer, I know I don't. There comes a time in every one's life where the discussion of downsizing comes up. Well, we have been discussing just that topic. Not right away mind you, but perhaps in the next five years or so. Sounds terrible doesn't it. I agree. Yipes. While we are both in good health, it is something we are discussing. As we all know, downsizing a railroad is a real bummer. Having done this once about 25 years ago, I do not look forward to it. That being said, I have been thinking about this and have built many of the structures on removable bases. That's the good news. Next is to figure what size house, if I could have a train room, etc... Another thing I am considering is getting back to painting. I have always enjoyed watercolors and have been working on studies of painting steel. Perhaps I will do railroad watercolors? Anyway, no Langford, just a Frank.

Frank / Erieman 

ACL1504

Oh come on, what did I do to everybody? That's right, pick on the guy that won't fight back.

Tom :'(
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Erieman

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 13, 2016, 03:32:32 PM
Oh come on, what did I do to everybody? That's right, pick on the guy that won't fight back.

Pick on you? We are just stating facts. Besides, if we didn't like you, we wouldn't pick on you. We would find someone else to harass. And another thing, The next railroad will be much smaller. Well, maybe.

Frank / Erieman

Janbouli

Frank , downsizing a home does not always mean downsizing the railroad room , just buy a smaller house with a huge shed, double garage or whatever as a side building  ;)
I love photo's, don't we all.

Erieman

Quote from: Janbouli on January 13, 2016, 07:55:04 PM
Frank , downsizing a home does not always mean downsizing the railroad room , just buy a smaller house with a huge shed, double garage or whatever as a side building  ;)

Jan,
I like your thinking, but moving my layout is a total impossibility. We all have experienced making an attempt to move a large layout. My last one sat in the garage collecting dust for several years before I decided to take it totally apart.Most of the structures on my current layout have been designed to be easily removable. Growing old is hell. In the meantime, I am building my little bit of paradise train room.

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

An hour and 1/2 into my early morning fun in the train room. I thought that I would share the technique I am using on The Lime Company structure. The interior or frame is constructed of 1/6 plain Northeastern lumber. It serves two features. It keeps the building very straight and square. Onto the sub structure, I have been gluing the exterior boards scale 2 x 8's. Lots of them as you will see in the photo. And different colors. As I may have mentioned, I have had this kit for many years. Several years I thought that I would start construction. After applying three separate coats of pigment to each piece ( at different times to allow the pigment to dry) I sort of ran out of steam. The kit contained some 800 plus sticks of wood. Needless to say it took a long time to apply the pigment.

Well several years have gone by and it was time to get back into the build. This is the only major structure remaining to be completed on the center section of the railroad. It will be a rather large complex, consisting of an office, barn, water tank, feed elevator, hopper, screen house and two other ancillary structures. I will be adding a second hopper to the complex. Hopefully I have enough wood for the additional hopper because I no longer have the old Floquil pigments that I used years ago nor do I remember the colors, thinning rations, etc...

So her I sit in the wee hours of the morning, gluing these little sticks to the inner sub structure. Hopefully, I will not go totally crazy before this project is over. 

jlgrove

...our recent downsizing was the best thing that's happened to my hobby enjoyment
in years...now I can spend all the time I want on buildings/trains.....

GPdemayo

Way to go Tom.....you're spreading the "Langford Syndrome" all over the forum. If I had more of the StL&D completed, I would be able to tear it up and start again too.

Nobody picks on you.....you have all the guns & ammo!  ;D

Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

Erieman

Quote from: GPdemayo on January 14, 2016, 09:19:37 AM

Way to go Tom.....you're spreading the "Langford Syndrome" all over the forum. If I had more of the StL&D completed, I would be able to tear it up and start again too.

Nobody picks on you.....you have all the guns & ammo!  ;D

Greg,

I'm willing to bet that you are next with the "Langford Syndrome" even though you have yet to add onto the house. Once you get that blessing, you are in start over mode. Not me. I'm full speed ahead with this layout. Completing Lime company is my main focus in structures. This building and repairing the foundation of another will probably bring an end to 1/2 or more of the layout. Full speed ahead. This kit has about seven buildings that are all sticks. Imagine that!!! I have completed applying all the stick siding to the main building. Roof, foundation and a few other details and then it is on to building #2. I figure that this complex is going to take me the better part of two months. Hopefully less. Pictures on Sunday.

Frank / Erieman

GPdemayo

Quote from: Erieman on January 13, 2016, 11:30:23 AM
Quote from: GPdemayo on January 13, 2016, 08:20:12 AM

Good Morning Greg,

No such luck and you are not going to like the answer, I know I don't. There comes a time in every one's life where the discussion of downsizing comes up. Well, we have been discussing just that topic. Not right away mind you, but perhaps in the next five years or so. Sounds terrible doesn't it. I agree. Yipes. While we are both in good health, it is something we are discussing. As we all know, downsizing a railroad is a real bummer. Having done this once about 25 years ago, I do not look forward to it. That being said, I have been thinking about this and have built many of the structures on removable bases. That's the good news. Next is to figure what size house, if I could have a train room, etc... Another thing I am considering is getting back to painting. I have always enjoyed watercolors and have been working on studies of painting steel. Perhaps I will do railroad watercolors? Anyway, no Langford, just a Frank.

Frank / Erieman

Five years.....I guess Tom and I better get out there to see it before it's gone. I wouldn't want to miss out seeing it in person. Road trip..... ;D ;D ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

Erieman

Greg,

Remember, five years go by fast. Anyway, an update on the barn building on the Lime Company. All  the main walls are covered with the 2x8 lumber. I am now installing the stone base. Because of the different track heights, I have glued a piece of 3/4" pine to the base allowing me to get the correct building height, install the posts between the track and make sure the C/L are correct with the track already on the layout. Posts and bases are next. Then I can place it on the layout and verify all the building locations.

The roof will be next. It will be constructed using a cardstock base with standing seam rib roofing which should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. Here is a pic of the building.

Frank / Erieman

ak-milw

Frank, I think a gray weathering would look great on the siding, it would show all the different boards.

8)