St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ak-milw

Erieman

Quote from: ak-milw on January 31, 2016, 05:24:14 PM
Looking great Frank.

8)

Thanks Andy,

This is a with lots of pieces. Almost 900 sticks. My fingers hurt from using the razor blades. Lot of details to be added. I hope to complete this sometime in February. The operative word is"Hope". Progress is very slow. thanks for stopping by.

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

Quote from: GPdemayo on January 31, 2016, 12:05:56 PM
What Tom said..... 8)

Greg,

You are a man of few words. Thanks for stopping by.

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 31, 2016, 11:51:47 AM
Frank,

The mine area is looking fantastic. the board by board structure fits right in. Great job and keep the photos coming.

Tom ;D

Thanks Tom, I'm working on it. It's taking me longer because I keep looking on your progress on my engine. What more can I say. Thanks for all your hard work. Stop back soon for more progress on this build.

Frank / Erieman

S&S RR

Frank

The mine is coming along real nice.  I like the location you chose for it.  I'm looking forward to getting back out there to see all the progress you have made.  BTW our temperatures have been in the 40's and 50's this week and all the snow melted.  It looks like spring - but I'm not fooled.

Wayne is planning on heading out in two weeks and has your phone number - put him to work on those trees.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

tom.boyd.125

Frank,
Your Lime Company build is looking very impressive.  ;) 
How many structures have you done using that inner sub structure core material to prevent warping ? 
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Erieman

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on February 01, 2016, 01:42:16 AM
Frank,
Your Lime Company build is looking very impressive.  ;) 
How many structures have you done using that inner sub structure core material to prevent warping ?

Tom,

This is the second one. There are a couple of others that I should have used this technique, but a lot of glue and a clamp has made the warp work so far. I would highly recommend this technique for long, narrow structures to prevent any signs of warping. Part of the warping is probably due to only painting one side, the exterior. On all of the structures that I have built this way, all the walls are totally painted, detailed, etc. before assembly. This current structure is different in that board by board is glued directly to the inner frame.

A couple of years ago i built Thurmond Station from an old article in Mainline modeler. I did not use this technique on the build and prior to judging, noticed that the building had warped about 3/16" overall.  It's about 160 scale feet long. A lot of Elmers and a clamp and it is now flat. You might go back on my layout thread and see the building.

frank / Erieman

Erieman

Been under the weather with a cold. Sort of take it out on you. Feeling better, but hope it doesn't come back. Spent some time working on the structure for the Lime Company. Lots of cutting and re cutting. Beautiful structure, bad documentation. Muddling thru it though. Not of the structures are fully complete. Building the basics and then looking at the site to see if I need to make changes to the design of the complex or a specific component.

I have purchased a couple more conveyers to add interest to the site. Two sidings are shown. The three track sidings are: car storage; car loading of product one and car loading of product two.  Other product is transported up the conveyer to a screen house, then sent to two size hoppers. Still to be built is another smaller wooden hopper for truck loading of material.

Progress is slower that I would like, but I like the visual progress I am seeing.

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

Progress on the Lime company has been moving along. Perhaps not a fast as I would like. I have found that trying to finish assemble the multiple components of this kit "in situ" is extremely awkward. As you can see in the two prior photos, the mine location is both high and quite a bit into the layout. The past few days I have several attempts to assemble various structural components with their respective conveyers. Not as easy as it looks. I have "somewhat " fumbled on several occasions, including almost destroying one of the structures. I have to rebuild the screen house once again ( this will be the second rebuild)

So, i have decided to make a placement arrangement on a work surface that I can reach, adjust and repair, without climbing on a variety of step stools, leaning over existing structures, etc.... Hopefully this should expedite the completion of this complex with a lot less wear and tear on yours truly. I'll take a pic later so you can see what I have decided to do. So far, much easier.

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

As promised, here are a couple of pictures of the mobile work surface that I have decided to use to assemble the 8 different structures. I tried doing the assembly on the layout, but found it too difficult and downright clumsy to do. Hence the mobile tablet. It's the right height, rotates to see other views, etc.. Just perfect and it should help in the final assembly procedure.

This is not the first time I have used this table. Actually, i have built most of my structures on it. This time I am also assembling all the structures together before installing final installation on the layout. The conveyers really create an assembly problem and this should make it easier.

In the background you can see a elevation view of all the buildings along with a photo of small cabins that will be scratchbuilt for the miners. I'll probably build 6 to 8 of them, space and time dependent.

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

The flu bug appears to be leaving my body and giving me more time to work on this complex. The screen house has been built four times. On the fourth time, I finally got it right and no more changes. There is still one more structure to be built. The kit only has one wooden Hopper, but I am adding a second one. The second hopper will be for truck loading rather than rail. It will be a smaller hopper. I have not started this building yet.

While my birthday was officially on Monday, the family is working on a family and friends birthday celebration this Sunday. So I have to clean up the train room, get the trains running and most importantly, clean the bathroom. In the meantime, here a few pictures taken today. Lots of details, weathering, etc.. to be added. Damn birthdays keep getting in the way. Anyway, enjoy the pics. And yes, I now see the piece of roofing sticking up. I'll fix it.

Frank / Erieman

donatode

Frank, the structures are just wonderful and they look natural in their setting.

Jerry

Frank beautiful job on this build.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

DACS

Beautiful structure.  Well planned and placed.
For all that lime being produced here, do you have or will there be a cement plant in the present or future?
If not, there must be lot outhouses around the countryside!   8)

Dave
Seattle
I am never having another birthday.  The candles for the cake are starting to cost too much!