FOS Juniper Freight House.

Started by ACL1504, July 21, 2016, 07:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I have some real estate set aside for a freight loading platform. I'm going to use the FOS Juniper Freight House for the build. Here are the obligatory start photos.

This will be a quick build and I won't be spending a lot of time covering all aspects of the build. This will be a PostalKarl type build. Progress photos and a little narrative. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tom 8)
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Polux

GPdemayo

Another ACL1504 build.....I'll be watching over your shoulder.  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

ACL1504

Quote from: Pol.lux on July 21, 2016, 10:28:33 PM
Watching.... :) :) :)

Pol.lux,

Thank you sir, much appreciate you checking in.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on July 22, 2016, 08:25:50 AM
Another ACL1504 build.....I'll be watching over your shoulder.  ;)

Butty Greg,

Thank you. I've been on this build for most of the day and I keep looking over my shoulder but haven't seen you as yet. Your disguise is wonderful. I'd like to borrow it. 8) 8)  No, better yet, I want one.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on July 22, 2016, 09:25:34 AM
Hi Tom:

I'm watching to.

Karl

Karl,

Thanks very much, I have some pictures to follow this post.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

On Doug's pilot model, he used Polly Scale Dark Green for the structure. Sine I used a green on Varick's Freight, I wanted to use another color. I wanted a color that will be very easily weathered since it is located next to the tracks and near lots of stream.

I considered, Floquil Foundation, Mud, Depot Buff and Earth. I considered an equal number of grays and a few browns.

I decided on using Tamiya Desert Yellow acrylic paint. Actually, the yellow is more like the Floquil Mud and Depot Buff.

Yes, you do see that I have water base acrylic paint and a bottle of Testors Lacquer Thinner. I've discovered that the Tamiya paints can be thinned with Testors Thinner.

NOTE: I dip the brush in the Tamiya paint and apply it to the wall. I then dip the brush in the thinner and "spread" the paint. It works great but it does thin the paint so you need to limit the amount of thinner. It almost turns the paint into a stain. Interestingly, the thinner won't clean the paint from the brush. I still used warm soapy for that.

And here we have the painted structure with nail holes and a few signs. No A&I has been applied at this time in the build.

Continued in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The  instructions mention that the loading platform needs to be adjusted so it fits the track.

I used two posts through the platform base and leveled it to fit the side of a boxcar. I then measured the posts and cut 16 of equal length.

The 16 posts were glued to the base in the holes provided on the platform base.

The kit provides a laser cut platform base that represents 2X12 boards.

i wanted to create more work for myself and decided to use 2X12 HO scale strip wood. I placed the structure on the platform and marked with a pencil where the 2X12's fit against the wall.

More in a few since it is now past Diet Pepsi time.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I stained five pieces of 2X12 HO strip wood with Hunterline's Cordovan Brown Weathering Mix. When the
A&I was dry I glued the strip wood directly to the platform base and NOT the laser cut simulated wood.

I did the same with the platform ramp by gluing the 2X12's directly to the ramp.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is a look at where it will be and how it looks up to now.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jimmillho

This is starting to look like the one I built, only much better.

Jim

Polux

Looks really god so far....and looks perfect on this place as well ;)

ACL1504

Quote from: jimmillho on July 22, 2016, 10:30:56 PM
This is starting to look like the one I built, only much better.

Jim

Butty Jim,

I had forgotten you built this one. Its a fun build.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Pol.lux on July 23, 2016, 03:23:19 AM
Looks really god so far....and looks perfect on this place as well ;)

Pol.lux,

Thank you kind sir. I think it will be a perfect fit as well. I'll have more to show later this evening.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com