FOS Bud's Bait "N Gas Dock Challenge #2

Started by ACL1504, September 12, 2016, 04:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I painted the roof panels with full strength Floquil DH Gray to represent old galvanized panels.

Prior to gluing them in place, I used a file to file any glue the squeezed out from under the 2X4. I didn't want the panels to not fit properly.

The panels were then glued to the roof card.

More in a few.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

All the panels are now glued in place.

When the gray paint is cured, I'll stencil the "Gas & Bait" on the roof panels.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Powersteamguy1790

Very nicely done on the floor planking and roof Tom. :) 8)

Stay cool and run steam........ 8) 8)

Polux

jimmillho

ACL1504

Quote from: Powersteamguy1790 on October 30, 2016, 03:06:20 PM
Very nicely done on the floor planking and roof Tom. :) 8)

Stay cool and run steam........ 8) 8)

Bob,

Thanks very much, I appreciate the support.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Pol.lux on October 30, 2016, 03:26:33 PM
Nice work on the roof, Tom ;)

Polux,

Thank you as well. Much appreciate you following along.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jimmillho on October 30, 2016, 03:47:04 PM
Tom, That is a cool looking roof.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks Butty, appreciate the compliment. This has been a fun build up to now.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mkrailway

Tom, the structure will fit perfectly into your layout. For the dock, I often pad my finger on some chalk or dirt and grind it into the dock in areas. Thus also adds texture and some color dimension.

Can't way until is placed on the layout.

Marty

ACL1504

The roof paint dried enough for the "Gas & Bait" stenciling.

I fit the stencil flush with the bottom of the 2X4 and centered it on the roof.

I used Floquil Light Blue and applied the paint. I put some paint on a piece of cardboard. I used a pointed brush for the paint application, not the brush shown below.

The brush I used is one that I got from Micro Mark. It comes in a set of four and is referred to in the MM web site as dry brushing brushes. Karl S. put me on the the set.

Anyway, I held the stencil in place and worked one letter at a time from left to right. I basically dry brushed the light blue on the roof. I didn't pull the brush down but instead dabbed/stippled the paint on.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Mkrailway on October 30, 2016, 05:40:37 PM
Tom, the structure will fit perfectly into your layout. For the dock, I often pad my finger on some chalk or dirt and grind it into the dock in areas. Thus also adds texture and some color dimension.

Can't way until is placed on the layout.

Marty

Marty,

Thank you and I'll try the finger chalk/dirt on the next dock, loading or other wise. Thanks for the tip. I'll add this to my tip list.

I'm anxious for it to get on the layout also.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

At the Scranton, PA. Expo I picked up one of Doug's weathering powder kits. I guess I just wanted to support the hobby as I have enough weathering powders to last me a lifetime with out these.

I used the Burnt Umber and Raw Sienna to weather the roof on Bud's.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Powersteamguy1790

Very nice weathering Tom. :)

Stay cool and run steam....... 8) 8)

ACL1504

One thing I always do is copy the sign sheet in all kits I build. This is good practice in case you have a need for the original sign. I keep the original and use the copy for the structures. Another reason is that it gives my quite a few signs to use in different places and on other buildings.

I used an unused piece of chipboard and glued the sign on. When dry I cut the sign out of the chipboard.

I then framed the sign with 2x4's.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Powersteamguy1790 on November 01, 2016, 04:04:28 PM
Very nice weathering Tom. :)

Stay cool and run steam....... 8) 8)

Bob,

Thank you very much kind sir. I appreciate you following along.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com