Working name - Frary's Fish Head Fertilizer

Started by Random, November 16, 2016, 12:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rail and Tie

Roger, I really like your idea of using tissue paper as it appears to be much more scale than thicker paper. The overlap looks pretty good. Do you find there is enough raised lap so that the detail stands out when highlighted? The pictures make it look pretty good!

BTW, can I assume you are an avid Trekker by your Icon?  Love it!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

bparrish

Roger...

This is a really cool build.

There is so many roof lines.  Just a really interesting structure.

Thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Random

Thanks Bob.  I stole the idea from the best.  :)

Darryl,

I used 3' wide strips with a 6" overlap.  It seemed to look right.  The raised lap is not real obvious when you first put it down.  I think this is due to using the unpainted black tissue.  I also noticed after I'd already done the upper shed roof and the conveyer that the paper has a flat and a shiny side.  For the lower shed and the main factory building roofs I was careful to have the flat side up.  Its a bit subtle so I don't think it did any harm on the others.  The lap doesn't really show up well until you add some weathering to highlight it.  I used some light gray brandon power quickly just for the photos.  It's going to need some more attention to finalize.

Here's a close up of part of the roof.  I painted on Elmer's glue with a bush one row at a time.  The glue was a little separated from sitting in storage for a while so it ended up a being thinned a little.  I think I'll thin it on purpose from now on.  The extra wetness of the Elmer's caused some wrinkling which I think looks good.  There is even a little bit of bubbling from the eve edge at the lower left that looks like the wind has gotten under the paper.  The thinness also lets the overhang droop more easily.

When I roofed the conveyer I left an overhang at the bottom so that when I attached the conveyer to the lower shed roof it created an overlap onto the other roof.  I still need to add some flashing on the sides of this joint.  You can see how the weathering powder really brings out the texture of the overlap in this closeup.

Yeah, the avatar is a giveaway.  I grew up watching Star Trek and building models of all kinds.

Cheers
Roger Hines

Is 5 layouts too many?  Yes, it is.   

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

Random

Its been a while but I started working on some details over the last couple of days.  I've added stacks and vents to several buildings.  There is still more to do but its progress.

Here are a couple of views.

Handling the removable roof has lead to more unsettling of the rolled roofing.  It will probably sit back down flatter but I might need to sneak a little glue under some spots.

I've also added framing around the car door on the main building.  The framing is the same paper siding "boards" folded in half with a metal bending break (because I had it) to give a sharp fold.  I need to find or figure out how to make some working hinges for those doors.
Roger Hines

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

Random

One last bit for tonight.  I want the loading dock to the left to have a cover.  I was originally going to make this with a rectangle of card and some rolled roofing but the framing discussion over on my Hotel and Grill thread got me thinking it could look better.  So I raided the strip wood drawer and built a simple frame from scale 2x6s and planked it with 2x8s.  I'm planning to mount this on posts attacked to the dock to preserve the removability of the building sections.  I'm still going to cover it with rolled roofing but the spaced planking should add some interesting texture.

Time for some sleep now.

Cheers
Roger Hines

Random

With the loading dock shed dry, I added posts so that it can be mounted to the dock.  Nothing fancy here, I just measured for the height I wanted, attached each post with a drop of canopy glue and then fixed it in place to dry between a couple of machine squares.

Once this is dry I'll add some angle bracing and give it some weathering to match the dock. 
Roger Hines

Random

This build is nearing the end I think.   Here is an overview with the new shed over the left loading dock and ladders added to the power house on the right. Also there are lighting rods, roof vents, and a new smoke stack. 

I think I've mentioned that the factory is in sections so that you can access the internal track.  In theory the track curves right and goes back into the long white barn building (into the backdrop) but it actually sneaks inside the other buildings along the face of the backdrop.  Here's the "exploded" view.

Remaining items:

Roofing paper on the loading dock roof.
Support wires on the new black stack on the left building.
Both wood extensions to the left building need T-stove pipe vents.
A small rain shed over the office entrance door.
A couple of small wooden sheds for in front of the power house boiler bump out.
A pulley lift above the white building's second floor equipment door.

I think that will finish the building and leave it ready for scenery.

Oh, and signs.  Of course it needs signs. 

Cheers

Roger Hines

Random

I managed some more time in the shop this evening.  I decided to tackle the rain protection needs.

First up is the office door.  Dave Frary's original had a triangular roof section here. I decided to replicate it with a bit of scribed siding and a folded piece of card stock.  Pretty simple and canopy glue made fast work of putting it together. 

I roofed this with a bit of the tissue paper that I used previously on the main building.  The overlap will show better once its had some weathering.

I glued this to the wall with some canopy glue to simulate the many hidden nails in the nonexistent framing.

For the door on the left end of the loading dock I made a simple shed roof.  This is a small rectangle of cardboard framed in some strip wood with strip wood angle bracing.  This was ready to handle in just a few minutes using canopy glue to assemble it.

And here is the overall view.   Tissue paper rolled roofing added to each door cover and the loading dock roof.  The texture of the gapped planking on the loading dock shows pretty well and will look better once its weathered.  I think i'll also tear some of the roofing on the dock to show off the planking.  A quick brushing of thinned india ink colored the wood work.  It will lighten once its dried overnight.

So here is the status on the final checklist:

Cheers

Roger Hines

Janbouli

Almost finished and your build is looking great, the different roof types and heights , so nice.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Random

Thanks.  This build has been great for trying out all types of techniques.

Onward and rightward....

Last night I decided to tackle the wood sheds that will sit in front of the brick powerhouse on the right.  I scanned the workbench and grabbed some scrap siding.

I used two different types of scribed siding so that the sheds appear to have been built at different times.  This is to continue the cobbled together look.

They are not built at full sheds but just enough is framed to give the desired look up against the brick building.

This decision was mainly based on my desire to only use the scrap on hand and not cut into a new sheet of siding.  The door was built up from strip wood, glued to the front of the shed and then surrounded with a frame of strip wood.

Here they are up against the powerhouse wall.  It looks like they saved wood by building the 2nd shed using the original shed's wall as part of its wall.  I bet there's a roof leak in there in heavy rain.

A slightly different angle.

The door on the second shed was built up the same way as the first.

A bit of scrap balsa made the partial wall for the second shed.  The first is open.  As these butt against the brick wall there was no need to model the backs.

Its a bit of stagecraft but I think they look pretty good.  The roofs were made from scrap card left over from a Campbell kit. 

A wash of medium india ink mix aged the sheds.

Next a dry brushing with some white wash craft paint.  The right shed got a little more paint to make it look a touch newer.

And here they are in the final position.  This reminds me, I also have to make the doors for the freight car entrance.

Both of these sheds were thrown together in about two hours.  The canopy glue set fast enough to pretty well work continuously.  Love that stuff.
Paint and rolled roofing took about half an hour tonight.  These were really fun to put together because I didn't do a lot of planning and just let the size of the scrap material dictate the build.

Roger Hines

Random

Next I moved to the left end of the factory to do something about securing that new smoke stack before it blows over in the 35mph wind gusts we've been getting south of Houston the last couple of days.

I decided to make a "metal" band with 3 guy wires to support the stack.

I made the band from left over pastel paper from the barn siding.  The guy wires are some very fine styrene "wire" that I happened to find a pack of in my supply drawer.  Its tiny stuff but flexible and a little easier to work with than wire.  At least in this instance.

After sizing the band I spaced the 3 wires and attached them with canopy glue.  I let this dry over night and then painted it with some floquil aged silver.

I let that all dry for a day and then got out another piece of tubing the same diameter as the stack.

I wrapped the band around the tubing and glued it only to itself.

Once the canopy glue had set I slid the band off the tubing and allowed it to dry for a bit.

Then I slid the band onto the stack and positioned it so that the one guy wire fit nicely into the front corner of the roof.  I then positioned the other two wires.  Each wire is set in place with a small dab of canopy glue.

Once all of that has dried I'll need to go back and add some rust to the band and wires.

Here's a shot of the left building.  You can see the stack with guy wires and also where I added some damage to the rolled roofing on the loading dock cover.

Here's what's left

Signs
Freight car entrance doors.

I have a bully and support casting in the process of being painted.  I've been ponding hinges to make working doors for the freight door.  I think I'm going to call on my recent success on the doll house steamer trunk project to make those from thin brass sheet.  That should be interesting.

Cheers

Roger Hines

cuse

Really nice work overall. I especially like the weathered shingles. Thumbs up!

John

Random

Thanks John.  It could still use some more weathering in areas and of course some Pigeons and droppings.  But for now I think its pretty well done.

Here are some overall shots.

It still needs signage and doors for the freight car entrance.   I'm going to give making my own hinges a whirl but if that doesn't work they may not be posable.  Other than that its pretty well done.  I intended it to fit into a layout so I can't really plant it until I know how the trackage is going to approach so that the switch can be positioned. 

113 pictures ending on Friday the 13th.   :)

Roger Hines

Mkrailway

Roger, this looks like one of those very useful building that could go anywhere on a layout or be a separate diorama. Worth every penny.

postalkarl

Hi

Very nicely done. I love all the great roof line and angle the structure takes. Can't wait to see the signs. I'm a sign collector for my structures. I have quite the collection of stuff.

Karl