Hotel and Grill

Started by Random, December 02, 2016, 09:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinceg

Quote from: Random on April 27, 2018, 11:37:11 PM
Some roof details and a little weathering on the sign and things are starting to come together.

A bit more weathering and I added some window glass.  Two window frames have been trimmed to model the windows open.  The one to the right needs the window frame painted in at the bottom of the glass.

I need to add window shades and curtains to finish off the windows.  I also still need to build a shoe shine stand and add a few signs.

Cheers.

Love the building, Roger. A very credible structure. Still amazed by the news stand. Some sidewalk clutter might be fun....maybe a fire plug or a telephone booth or something?
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

PRR Modeler

Really nicely done.  The signs are great.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Lynnb

Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

Random

Window shades, check.   These are made from pastel paper glued across the opening to the back of the wall.

Thanks.  The sidewalk won't get details until the building it planted in a scene so that it blends.

Cheers.
Roger Hines

Is 5 layouts too many?  Yes, it is.   

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

Random

Hey!  I bet you thought I forgot about this build.   I had a small amount of time this evening and decided to add the awnings. 

I used some striped scrapbooking paper which I picked up from Michaels, Hobby Lobby, my local scrap booking shop...one of those.  I have a stack of striped paper from all sources.  It is acid free and shouldn't yellow over time.

The awnings are simple rectangles of paper cut to size with a 2mm folded drop.  I used some fine brass wire and made a U shaped support for the lower edge.  I glued the wire U to the underside of the awning behind the fold with canopy glue.  I then added a small bead of canopy glue along the top edge of the awning paper and glued it up under the sign against the top of the window framing.  I made sure the awning was securely against the building with some tweezers and loosely positioned the metal wire ends against the front of the building.  Once the canopy glue had grabbed securely I positioned the ends of the wire, starting with the two center pieces and using a toothpick added a small drop of ACC to attach them to the front of the building.  After that set I repeated the process with each side.  Attempting to move though these steps too quickly will result in non-school-safe words.  Trust me.  :)

I still need to add some signs and build the shoeshine bench for the open area between the grill and the newsstand.

That's it for now.

Cheers.
Roger Hines

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

sdrees

Hi Random,

ths is a really neat structure.  I especially like you newspaper stand and its content.
Steve Drees
SP RR

PRR Modeler

Very nice building and awning.
Curt Webb

Random

Since I have the signs out for the diner it made sense to turn my attention back to Leroy's this evening. 

I made the black and white sings in Apple Pages and printed them on matte photo paper.  I thinned them by slitting the edge with an X-acto knife and pealing the layers apart.  With the photo paper this is not hard to do. 

The resulting thin sign was coated on the back with thinned canopy clue and positioned on the wall.  I then added more thinned canopy glue to the surface and used a half inch wide, stiff, flat, china bristle brush to work the signs into the siding.  I used the same method for the advertising signs on the right end wall. 

The signs in the windows were applied from behind the glazing.  The three signs around the angled entrance door were not thinned.

Cheers.
Roger Hines

Random

I almost forgot to add the corner post.  This is made from a fancy toothpick.

Cheers!
Roger Hines

Janbouli

Your signs are fantastic , and the splitting of the photo paper is definitely something I'm going to try.
I love photo's, don't we all.

vinceg

The fancy toothpick is brilliant, Roger. Looks great.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

PRR Modeler

The signage is beautiful.  In fact the whole building is.  Very nicely done.
Curt Webb

Bruce Oberleitner

Awesome model!  Looks like there's a blue ribbon in your future....

DACS

Nice, very nice! Beautiful work!   I am concerned though, on how that chimney on the low roof area, is going to draw well.   :D

Dave
Seattle
I am never having another birthday.  The candles for the cake are starting to cost too much!

GPdemayo

Great job Roger.....beautiful building.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL