Extension to the PRR Bellevue Sub Branchline

Started by PRR Modeler, January 27, 2017, 04:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Powersteamguy1790

Nice work Curt. :)  8) Its coming along nicely.

Stay cool and run steam......... 8) 8)

PRR Modeler

Thanks Bob.

Finished about half of the second platform before running out of modeling wood. It will probably be several days before I'm able to get anymore. I also did some maintenance on a couple of box cars that needed it.

No modeling tomorrow. Grandson has a karate program that we are going to, then the train club for awhile. Sunday I hope to get started on the crane rails it will (simulated) run on.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Curt

The layout is looking good.  A modeler without strip wood - can't let that happen. ;)
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PRR Modeler

My wife surprised me last night after supper.  She said let's go get your modeling wood! What a great wife.

Today after grandson's karate program I cut the remaining boards and glued it together. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to sand the edges and weather it.
Curt Webb

Powersteamguy1790

Have fun Curt. :) :D ;)

Stay cool and run steam........ 8) 8)

PRR Modeler

Today I finished the second platform, painted the edges, weathered it and made the people ramp. To weather it I use a India ink and rubbing alcohol mixture. It seems to soak into the wood well giving it a worn, grimy look.

Tomorrow I hope to get started on the 3 railroad crossings.

Here is a pic of both platforms but it doesn't show the details very well

Curt Webb

Powersteamguy1790

Curt:

I really like what you've accomplished  so far on that new addition.  :) 8)

Stay cool and run steam........ 8) 8)

PRR Modeler

Today I got started on the 3 grade crossings. I still need to fix the sides, and of course paint and weather them. The "roads" are made from a styrene "For Sale" sign.

I will probably work on the sides tomorrow.

Curt Webb

Powersteamguy1790

Looking good Curt. :) 8)

Stay cool and run steam............ 8) 8)

PRR Modeler

Today I modified my track crossings. After looking at them last night I decided I wasn't happy with them. I glued the sides to the road portions and weathered the wood portions.

Tomorrow I plan on painting the road portions. I will start out with black then finish a second coat with W/S Asphalt.

Curt Webb

Janbouli

Right decision to change them Curt , this looks much better.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Powersteamguy1790

I like the changes Curt. :) 8)

Stay cool and run steam................. 8) 8)

PRR Modeler

Thanks guys. I thought it was the right thing to do.
Curt Webb

PRR Modeler

Today I gave the road 3 coats of paint. I also decided on the track rails I'm going to do for the crane. I got a old piece of flex track and cut out the middle section of ties (both rails have a small lengths of ties under them). I also painted 4 PRR style concrete bumpers for the ends of the crane tracks and painted a electrical supply box that will go next to the dwarf signal when it goes in.

Question: I'm not sure about putting white lines on the road I painted today...thoughts?

Curt Webb

ACL1504

Curt,

The roadway looks good. If this is a busy road across the tracks, I'd add the lines between the tracks but only on the pavements.

Also, if I may be so bold to make another suggestion. Your crossings between the tracks look good but they shouldn't be square on the ends. The railroads usually rounded these off. You are correct in that they extend beyond the roadway. Here is how I did some of mine.

It still needs weathering.

Tom
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com