Sylvan Scale Models 1936 Chevy 2 Ton Flatbed

Started by Raymo, February 01, 2017, 07:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymo

I attached the tires to the wheels  with some ACC. The nicest thing I can say about these things is I hate them. The tires are never consistent in width and overall roundness. I've sent more of these back to Clare for replacement and he always sends ones back  that are somewhat better. I had discussions with him about doing these in solid resin but he won't, so I'll just have to work harder making them to look decent.

Raymo

I took time to clean up the driver casting and painting it. These are far from being a highly detailed casting but when the cab is attached you really can't see it.

Raymo

At this point I'll start on the body.  The wood deck and two small body strips I've hit with a coat of stain from a Minwax stain pen I picked up at Home Depot

Raymo

Then the rest of the body was colored with a Sharpie marker.

Raymo

I started the body assembly with the frame. A couple of pieces of scrap wood keeps it square

Raymo

When that was dry, I added the body supports.

Raymo

At this point I put some thin ACC on the joints and let that dry. Then I lightly sand the top and edges of the deck support for squareness and touched everything up with the Sharpie. I then added the deck. The four side pieces were then added the body.

Raymo

Then I started the headboard assembly. A lot of care needs to be taken when cutting these out and cleaning them up.

Raymo

Then the headboard was attached to he body. At this time I also attached the two trim pieces to the body sides. I also touched up the body again with the Sharpie.

Raymo

At this point the wheels and tires were attached to the frame. Trying to get the four corners to touch the ground at the same time can be a challenge, I lucked out on this one. I then Dullcoated the frame and body at this time.

Raymo

We're getting close to the end on this one, more in a bit.......

ak-milw

Quote from: Raymo on March 18, 2017, 09:24:27 AM
I attached the tires to the wheels  with some ACC. The nicest thing I can say about these things is I hate them. The tires are never consistent in width and overall roundness. I've sent more of these back to Clare for replacement and he always sends ones back  that are somewhat better. I had discussions with him about doing these in solid resin but he won't, so I'll just have to work harder making them to look decent.

glad to see I am not the only one with tire problems.

MAP

Mark

jerryrbeach

Dan,
I always enjoy your Sylvan build threads, and this is no exception.  Great tip on using the markers for easy touchups.
Jerry

Raymo

Andy, Mark, and Jerry, Thanks for stopping by. Lets get this thing finished!