Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

I'm back working on the helix - loop one is complete - starting loop two. I'll take some pictures at the end of the day today. I bought a video camera that I can mount on a flat car, thanks to Erieman.  I was holding out until I had more of the layout complete, but I think the camera will be very helpful in inspecting my track work.  Especially in the hidden areas. Now I have another project - learning how to use it.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Here is a progress picture at the end of the day,  today.  I'm starting the third loop of the helix. The HO track is on the outside of the helix with a 26 inch radius.  The HOn3 is on the inside with a radius of 24 inches.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Can't wait to see the finished helix with trains running on it.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on April 01, 2017, 09:26:45 PM
Can't wait to see the finished helix with trains running on it.

Curt

Thanks for stopping by - I'm really looking forward to having the trains running on this too.  This helix will complete the track on the layout - at least for awhile - until the next expansion. ;)   So far - all the track work in this area will be underneath the city that I will build on top.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I'm making progress on the helix, one more loop to go with the HO track and 2 more loops with the HOn3.

John Siekirk

postalkarl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on April 04, 2017, 07:42:58 AM
Hi John:

Looks good you're getting there.

Karl

Hi Karl

Thanks for stopping by - I'm ready to get back on building structures. I enjoy the track work but it's been a long stretch of doing the same thing.

John Siekirk

deemery

Places that have 4'x8' CNC cutters are increasingly common (check with your local custom cabinetry guy).  I think if I were doing a helix, I'd pay to have the plywood pieces cut by CNC. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on April 04, 2017, 09:25:35 AM
Places that have 4'x8' CNC cutters are increasingly common (check with your local custom cabinetry guy).  I think if I were doing a helix, I'd pay to have the plywood pieces cut by CNC. 

dave

Dave

I would agree with you for a traditional helix - the problem with this helix, and the two others I've built for the S&S, is that every piece is custom. The clay mockup really helped with the visualization but now it's measure twice and cut once for each section.  I'm also using up all the scrap pieces of wood that I had stored under the layout from all of the previous benchwork projects. At least I will not have to worry about covering up pretty benchwork. I'm spending most of my time checking the grade and testing to make sure there are no bumps or dips. The process is much easier on this helix with everything out in the open. Modeling a mountain railroad has it's challenges - just like the prototype.
John Siekirk

deemery

Maybe 20% of my dumb mistakes are cutting errors, rather than measurement errors.  CNC would prevent those, at least, at the cost of doing a lot more design work. 

What's the grade through the helix?

dave

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on April 04, 2017, 10:13:57 AM
Maybe 20% of my dumb mistakes are cutting errors, rather than measurement errors.  CNC would prevent those, at least, at the cost of doing a lot more design work. 

What's the grade through the helix?

dave

Hi Dave

The grade is between 2 and 3 percent depending on what I have to allow clearance for.  I plan on running 2 and 3 locomotive consists, just like the prototypes in the mountains. The iPad is sure a great tool for measuring the grade.  With the larger loops I can get 4 inches of rise per loop and maintain less than a 3 percent grade.
John Siekirk

deemery

You certainly don't want stalls inside the helix, so an even grade would be important, I think. 

For my layout, I've considered and discarded a 2 level design, mostly because I doubt I'd complete it  :P

dave

S&S RR

More progress on the helix today.  The facia board is in place for a fitting.  The shape will change once I get the final loop in place.

John Siekirk

postalkarl