Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 12, 2017, 10:08:10 AM
Good save John.....I'm sure that scene will be great when you get it finished and you'll be much happier when your steamers run thru it without problems.  8)

Thanks Greg.  All the track work has to be tested with all my locomotives before I call it done.  Thanks for following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

KCS Trains

John,  I know what you are talking about.  That's why I'm laying track and testing it right away.  I have a UP Big Boy.  If that beast of an engine can get through, anything can!!  Phil

S&S RR

Quote from: KCS Trains on March 13, 2017, 11:45:49 AM
John,  I know what you are talking about.  That's why I'm laying track and testing it right away.  I have a UP Big Boy.  If that beast of an engine can get through, anything can!!  Phil

Phil

Now that's a good test locomotive.  I'm using a 2-6-6-2 which will be the biggest on my rooster.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I made some progress on the helix today. The Narrow Gauge loop is complete to the level below the layout. All I need is a 12 foot straight section of track to complete it.  The first loop of the helix up is also in place and ready for track. The outer most loop is a reversing loop so I can turn a train without going up the helix.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also cut the front facia board to a maximum size using the clay mockup as a guide. I'm sure I will make some modification before it is installed permanently.  I will determine the final shape once the helix is all in place.

Here is a picture of the clay mockup again for perspective.

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

jimmillho

Looking really good John.

I love to see the way things are built.

Jim

S&S RR

Quote from: jimmillho on March 15, 2017, 11:25:55 AM
Looking really good John.

I love to see the way things are built.

Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks for stopping by the thread.  I'm the same way, I guess that's why I'm doing a build thread. It sure is nice to be able to build this helix out in the open. Instead of going straight up, with each loop over the previous one, I'm going to stagger the loops after the first one so the radius can get bigger and I have more room to work on the track.  I have the space once I get above the first loop so why not use it.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

Using the track gauges is a very wise idea, especially on the helix. You won't be sorry. Many modelers don't and the result is not good.

Tom
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on March 16, 2017, 11:23:55 AM
John,

Using the track gauges is a very wise idea, especially on the helix. You won't be sorry. Many modelers don't and the result is not good.

Tom

Hi Tom

Thanks for stopping by.  I agree, the few minutes it takes to get it right now can save hours finding a spot where the radius got to tight.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Construction activities on the S&S RR have been put on hold for a few days so Amy and I can spend some quality time with the family. I completed the first loop of the helix and finalized the design, now that I can see how everything will go together.  My saber saw will be getting a workout with this project.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision