Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpdylan

Awesome! Following along so I can get pointers- I want to drop my track under the layout and come back up in another section....
Bob C.

S&S RR

Quote from: rpdylan on March 10, 2017, 09:11:46 AM
Awesome! Following along so I can get pointers- I want to drop my track under the layout and come back up in another section....

Bob

Thanks for following along.  The HOn3 line on my layout is the upper most level and runs between the four major groups of mountains.  At each end after making approximately a 80 foot run it travels down a helix with the return under the layout.  I have been working on and off for three months putting in all the track under the layout. I anticipate a long shake out period with the track work because it was hard to see under the layout.  We will see in a few weeks. The idea is to be able to run this continuously during open houses etc. The line can also be run point to point during operations.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here are a couple pictures of something you shouldn't do.  When I laid the track in this area I put in a 28 inch radius S curve.  It really looks nice as a diesel locomotive pulls a train through the area.  Problem is the steam locomotives can't deal with the S curve - derail every time.  So one of my projects this week is to remove the S.  I can do it without modifying the location of the trestle - I just need to add a couple deck planks.  I used my radius gauges to figure out the new route.

As soon as I get the track work changed and tested I will be finishing the scenery in this area.

John Siekirk

ak-milw

John, how do you plan on bending the trestle, or do you have to redo it?

Powersteamguy1790

Great photo's John. :) 8) Well done.

Stay cool and run steam........ 8) 8)

S&S RR

Quote from: ak-milw on March 11, 2017, 01:10:36 PM
John, how do you plan on bending the trestle, or do you have to redo it?

Andy

All I have to do is add a couple planks to the trestle so no big deal.  The S was an after thought that did look cool but was not functional with the larger steam locomotives.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

sdrees

John,

To bad the S curve did not work out for the steam locomotives.  I added a lot of interest to this great scene.
Steve Drees
SP RR

Mkrailway

Can't you just flatten the curve near the embankment on the front left?

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: sdrees on March 11, 2017, 06:24:22 PM
John,

To bad the S curve did not work out for the steam locomotives.  I added a lot of interest to this great scene.

Steve

Thanks for stopping by - yeah it did look good but I can't have the big steamers having problems.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: MartyO on March 11, 2017, 07:28:21 PM
Can't you just flatten the curve near the embankment on the front left?

Marty

Tried that but it would require too tight of a radius coming off the big trestle.  It will work by straightening out the track between the two trestles. I had it that way in the first place and decided to get cute with the S curve. Thanks for following the thread. I'll post some pictures of the fix when I get it done.  I have some big pine trees already made up for the right side of the tracks.  The trains will be running through a forest of big pines when this area is complete.
John Siekirk

GPdemayo

Good save John.....I'm sure that scene will be great when you get it finished and you'll be much happier when your steamers run thru it without problems.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL