Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

You just amaze me!!  Your planning ahead is something everyone should learn to do.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on February 16, 2019, 01:18:11 PM
You just amaze me!!  Your planning ahead is something everyone should learn to do.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for following along - the planning is the way I'm wired.  I'm an Engineer by profession so that's the part of the hobby that comes naturally to me.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

MAP

Great progress John.  You make it look easy putting all of the elements of your railroad together in beautiful scenes.  Where did you buy those silicone tubs?  They're pretty cool.
Mark

S&S RR

Quote from: MAP on February 17, 2019, 06:12:13 AM
Great progress John.  You make it look easy putting all of the elements of your railroad together in beautiful scenes.  Where did you buy those silicone tubs?  They're pretty cool.

Mark

Thank you for following along and the kind words.  The silicone tubs came from a company called Rockler. They are a wood working supply company.
John Siekirk

deemery

John, your discussion of the Rockler silicone tubs made me look for similar items on Amazon.  I saw some silicone mini cupcake "wrappers" that I'll try as glue tubs.  I'll try one, and save the rest of them for cupcakes.  :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on February 17, 2019, 10:25:48 AM
John, your discussion of the Rockler silicone tubs made me look for similar items on Amazon.  I saw some silicone mini cupcake "wrappers" that I'll try as glue tubs.  I'll try one, and save the rest of them for cupcakes.  :-)

dave

Dave

Interesting - let us know how they work. I'm not sure I want cupcakes cooked in silicone wrappers. Let us know if they come with a bunch of stickers on them from California. I think my mom used to use paper wrappers.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The baseboard is ready for structures for the Sewall's and Fox Run Milling builds.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I made some progress on the Stone Roundhouse electrification and detailing today.  I cleaned up the benchwork and painted it black in preparation for the track extensions that will attach the roundhouse tracks to to the turntable. There will also be a number of sidings around the turntable for outside locomotive storage. The track in this area will be mounted directly plywood.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The turntable is in and wired for the Stone Roundhouse.  I forgot to mention, yesterday, that I taped all of the seams in the plywood benchwork before I painted it black.  Once all the feeder tracks are in place and tested this area will receive a layer of sand and then ballast.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I finished the day, today, grinding the tapper on the feeder tracks and cutting the shims required to matchup all the different levels of track to the turntable.
John Siekirk

vinceg

Fantastic, John! Beautiful job on all the SRMW and FSM kits. What's not to like?!
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

engine909

I agree, superb modeling John. Thank you for sharing.
ed

deemery

I got those mini-cupcakes silicone cups and tried some glues in them today.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HMW7XTO

MEK had no effect/no damage, it just flashed off. 
Thin CA flakes off, but it pulls a little bit of the silicone with it.
PVA just popped off.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

vinceg

Quote from: deemery on February 22, 2019, 08:42:45 PM
I got those mini-cupcakes silicone cups and tried some glues in them today.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HMW7XTO

MEK had no effect/no damage, it just flashed off. 
Thin CA flakes off, but it pulls a little bit of the silicone with it.
PVA just popped off.

dave

How do cupcakes work?  :P
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee