PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I spent most of the day today running trains.  I'm real happy with the way things are running at this point.  A few areas to work on but that's to be expected. The only real problem area is the hidden helix that I had to build in the mountain.  I'm getting some uncoupling
and a few derailments and can't figure out what's causing them.  Next step will be to run the camera car through the layout and see if I can spot the trouble.  Tomorrow, I think I'm going to plant the more than 400 trees I have made ahead. It will be amazing how fast the layout swallows them up. 
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update 06/15/17: I have been spending what time I had for the layout the last few days planting trees, and cleaning up for a open house that I'm hosting for the local train gang. After this process is complete I'm going to start focusing on a square foot at a time with scenery and structures. I have a few track work improvement projects and about 40 feet of the Narrow Gauge line to complete that will be my diversion project when I'm waiting for the glue to dry.  Like most summers I have smaller blocks of time to devote to the layout so I want projects where I can get something done in a few hours and that are easy to start and stop.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

I just ordered 1 1/2 bushels of super trees from SE. Building trees is boring but I sure love the end result of how they look on the layout.

Looking forward to what you will be doing with yours. Your layout is wonderful and the mountain scenery is the best I've seen - ANYWHERE!

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on June 15, 2017, 07:24:57 PM
John,

I just ordered 1 1/2 bushels of super trees from SE. Building trees is boring but I sure love the end result of how they look on the layout.

Looking forward to what you will be doing with yours. Your layout is wonderful and the mountain scenery is the best I've seen - ANYWHERE!

Tom ;D

Tom

Thanks for stopping by the thread and the kind words my friend.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I had a great Father's day weekend running trains with my Grandsons.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: Since I have the benchwork all cleaned off for a Show and Tell session with my local rail gang, I'm going to take a series of walking tour pictures of the layout.  I will be posting them later in the week.  The pictures will serve as a design baseline that I can markup and use for structure design and placement. 
John Siekirk

engine909

John,
That is the best picture I have seen of someones layout in years. You and those two boys are what's it's all about.
I now know you much better. Thank you for greatly enhancing my day. That picture I will save and look at often.
I hope the AK books you got enhance your weathering. From what I see you are quite good without them.
You are a very cool dude.
ed

S&S RR

Quote from: engine909 on June 20, 2017, 07:00:02 PM
John,
That is the best picture I have seen of someones layout in years. You and those two boys are what's it's all about.
I now know you much better. Thank you for greatly enhancing my day. That picture I will save and look at often.
I hope the AK books you got enhance your weathering. From what I see you are quite good without them.
You are a very cool dude.
ed

Ed

Thanks for stopping by the the thread and the kind words. The Grandsons enjoy running trains on the layout and finding what I have changed since their last visit.  I agree that it's one of the best parts of the hobby.  I will be spending a few hours in my gazebo this summer seeing what I can learn from the AK books.  They look great.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The Superior & Seattle RR has survived our first open house. The trains ran! ;) :o ;D  I hosted a few of the local train gang members an operations group.  I learned a few things in the process - the biggest take away is that getting the layout ready for a showing is a lot of work. I have gained a new respect for all the layout owners that have hosted me over the years. Thank you.  I also want to thank Wayne Olson for his help and for manning the throttle while I talked about all the plans for things to come. We only had one mishap, I decided to run a train while I was talking and ran a switch. :-[  I need to get the electronic turnout controls operational before my next group of visitors. Finally, I want to thank everyone that came to visit.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today,  while the benchwork is clean, I'm going to take a series of pictures that I will use for design and structure placement.  I will be sharing the pictures and the plans over the coming weeks in posts here on the forum. I'm planning on doing this once a year so I have a history of the progress towards completion from here on out.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I'm back working on my Isaac's Coal build.  I had three sessions today of gluing more of the supports on the coal bins.  Here is a picture after one of them.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I'm just about done with all six of the coal bins for Isaac's Coal. There are an amazing number of details to add to these coal bins. I will be touching up the coloring (lots of cut ends and edges to color) and then the next step will be to glue them to the roof card. It will start looking like a coaling facility, soon.

John Siekirk

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to