Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

A number of hours were spent at the workbench today, trimming, fitting, and cutting the wall castings for the S&S RR Locomotive Works.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I also made some progress with the Mackenzie's build.  I added what seems like a hundred rafter ends, some guide wires, and trim pieces. Tomorrow, I plan on adding the water wheel and doing some more weathering on the roof and new pieces.
Bob - you will notice that the crooked posts on the front of the building are now broke and one is down, as per your advice.  I think this is the way I will go. I could not stand those crooked out of square posts in the progress pictures.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

sdrees

Hi John,

Your derelict building is looking good, I mean old and fallen in disrepair the way it should be. Nice job.
Steve Drees
SP RR

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: sdrees on October 20, 2017, 01:14:07 PM
Hi John,

Your derelict building is looking good, I mean old and fallen in disrepair the way it should be. Nice job.

Steve

Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by the thread. My biggest challenge with this build is building it like it is falling down - out of square - tilting etc.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The walls starting going up on my S&S RR Locomotive Works today.  I think I will be using every clamp and angle plate I own on this one.

John Siekirk

deemery

You can't be too rich, too strong, or have too many clamps.   (said my late brother the carpenter)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on October 21, 2017, 12:55:11 PM
You can't be too rich, too strong, or have too many clamps.   (said my late brother the carpenter)

dave

Dave

Sounds like a smart man.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a series of photographs that show the progress on the three ongoing projects. First here is were I left off at the end of the day with the S&S RR Locomotive Works.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The Mackenzie Build is coming along, today I added the wood paddles to the water wheel and started building the Jordon Truck that George included in the kit.  It will be a detail in what is left of the mill pond.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

My third project is the Fox Run FSM kit.  The first step is to figure out the modifications I want to make to fit it in the spot I have picked out on the layout. I have spent a couple hours a day playing with different scenarios for the industrial area of Eagles Nest Yard. So here are a few pictures that describe where I'm at.  This corner scene will have three major structure groups.  The Monster Model works Signal Tower with a detailed interior will be on the far left of this picture. Sewall's Foundry another FSM kit will be at an angle in the corner. And Fox Run Mill will occupy the base board on the right of the picture. I have to layout each of the builds that are going to be in this area on their base boards before I can start the Fox Run build - to make sure it will flow from one build to the other. The siding track need to fit together and the roads need to line up end to end.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I should note that all of the roof detail needs to be added to the background buildings in this scene.  I decided to wait until the foreground structures were added before placing the water towers and other roof details.
John Siekirk