What building is this?

Started by Erieman, May 23, 2017, 10:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erieman

Good evening All,

Well the weather here in Arizona has turned to hot ( hot being defined temperatures over 100 degrees) That is the daytime high which is 30 degrees above the low temp. So-o-o-o, here sit in the train room where it is nice and cool. Progress on Yakima Apples building one is proceeding nicely. As you can see from the attached photo, all the walls have been painted / weathered, braced, windows installed. I am still waiting for the balance of the windows and doors to complete the rest of the wall assembly. I am also awaiting the LED lamps for the building. Everything needs to be installed to the walls before final assembly. After all the wall assembly, it will be time to build all the platforms around the building. The fun never stops.

I am also "cooking" steel wool and vinegar for the colorant of the base stone wall. I will have to "cook" for a couple of days to get the right color I am seeking.
I have also opened up the drawings for Yakima Apples II. That is the next build.[size=78%]  [/size]

[/size]Frank / Erieman[size=78%]

sdrees

Hi Frank,

You are making great progress on your Yakima Apples and it is looking very good.  Who's LED's are you using.
Steve Drees
SP RR

Erieman

Quote from: sdrees on June 01, 2017, 08:20:38 PM
Hi Frank,

You are making great progress on your Yakima Apples and it is looking very good.  Who's LED's are you using.

Steve,

What ever Tom ACL1504 sends me. Okay, the cat is out of the bag. Yakima Apples I & II will be renamed and will become a structure for sorting and packaging oranges. Florida Oranges. Been quite busy on outside work. took deliver of 24 tons of granite for the backyard. No, I did not shovel it and wheel barrel it. I just raked it and that, my friend, has been a lot of raking. A little more to to tomorrow morning. Done, Not. Need to order another 15 plus tons.
I work on the building after it gets too hot or there are no other honey do projects on the list. A couple more to go, then I can get back to building full steam.

Frank / Erieman

jerryrbeach

Gee Frank,
That's quite a cat you just let out of the bag!  I've been wondering why a second build of this structure, now I know.  Following along, as usual.
Jerry

donatode

Quote from: Erieman on June 03, 2017, 07:11:59 PM
Quote from: sdrees on June 01, 2017, 08:20:38 PM
Hi Frank,

Steve,

What ever Tom ACL1504 sends me. Okay, the cat is out of the bag. Yakima Apples I & II will be renamed and will become a structure for sorting and packaging oranges. Florida Oranges. Been quite busy on outside work. took deliver of 24 tons of granite for the backyard. No, I did not shovel it and wheel barrel it. I just raked it and that, my friend, has been a lot of raking. A little more to to tomorrow morning. Done, Not. Need to order another 15 plus tons.
I work on the building after it gets too hot or there are no other honey do projects on the list. A couple more to go, then I can get back to building full steam.

Frank / Erieman

ACL1504

I'm using 3V DC Nano Warm White LED's.

I'll be sending Frank 4 goose neck w/LEDs, 2 LEDs for under the canopy roof and 1 on a light pole.

I'll be making them this coming week. I haven't decided on a sign as yet. I have a book of over 1500 citrus labels.

Here is one of the finalists.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Erieman

Good Afternoon All,

A little bit of gravel spreading this morning, very early this morning, and then train room for most of the day, well almost. Anyway, here are pics of the Yakima Apples bldg I as of today. The steel wool and white vinegar is still cooking. That will be used to weather the plaster building stone base. A few more walls were added today. The floor in the main storage room was also added and stained with A&I. With this area being illuminated, it should show well. Tom is looking at the orange crate labels. There are so many from Florida, it is going to be a hard choice. Still waiting for the freight doors, factory doors and baggage doors. Not something that most hobby shops carry anymore, so you have to wait until Walthers gets them in. Not my favorite arrangement. I probably should have purchased them direct. Next time for sure.

Next up will be all the staining and cutting of lumber for the loading docks.

On a side note, I am going for my MMR. Thursday I had my layout judging for scenery. 115 out of a possible 125. four down, three to go.

Frank / Erieman

jerryrbeach

Frank,
The further you get, the better this looks.  This structure has so much character and history already, cannot wait to see it completed. 
And, congrats on your score for the scenery judging, your scenery is excellent.   
Jerry

Zephyrus52246

The structure is coming together nicely.  Can't imagine what the judges were able to deduct from your wonderful scenery.  Congrats on advancing toward your MMR.

Jeff

Erieman

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on June 05, 2017, 07:46:25 AM
The structure is coming together nicely.  Can't imagine what the judges were able to deduct from your wonderful scenery.  Congrats on advancing toward your MMR.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I'm hoping i can finish my MMR by years end. Two of the judges wanted to give me full score on each category, but the AP person had to find something. If I told you, you would still be laughing. No big. Interestingly enough, the AP chair does NOT have his MMR. Go figure. I will continue to press on. Thanks for stopping by.

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

Quote from: jerryrbeach on June 05, 2017, 07:43:18 AM
Frank,
The further you get, the better this looks.  This structure has so much character and history already, cannot wait to see it completed. 
And, congrats on your score for the scenery judging, your scenery is excellent.

Jerry,

Thank you for your kind words. I think Tom will be pleased with them. Looking forward to seeing what he will do with the structures. Glad you like the scenery. Lot more to go. Pictures only show you part of the total layout that is completed. i think i need to look at a video. I'll put it on the list.

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

Okay guys,

Progress has been somewhat slow the last couple of days. Working on honey-do projects that I let slide for a bit while working on the layout before Lou Sassi took photos of the layout. The list is getting smaller. I still have a few more things to do, but that is another day. Yakima Apples I is closing in. Been taking to Tom (ACL 1504) about some of the details of the building and what label he wants on the signage and crates, to name a few.

The attachments show the roof patterns on and the elevator shaft being roughed in. Because there will be lighting in and outside the building, I have to wait until Tom sends the LED's. I still can continue on the elevator shaft, roof overhangs and all the decking around the building. Also need to find where I got the chimneys.

As I look at both buildings, I think that the main building also needs another coat of A&I. The existing building is a bit darker and another medium or even dark A&I might just help make the building look a bit older.

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

Good Evening Everyone,

I have a favor to ask. As many of you know, I have a lot of birds on many of the buildings on my layout. All the birds are from SRMW kits. I have looked at other birds and have not found any that compare. My original model of Yakima Apples had quite a few birds on each building and I would like to add this feature on the buildings that I am making for Tom.

Since Bob is no longer in business, i have a request from fellow modelers. Do any have any of the cast metal sprue with the birds on it from SRMW ( South River Model Works )? I am know for all my buildings with birds, but with no source anymore, I am asking fellow modelers if they might have a few. Drop me a PM. Thanks.

Frank / Erieman

Zephyrus52246

Frank, have you tried the BEST pigeons?  I think they look pretty good.  They are comparable in size to the SRMW ones.  The top set are from my recent SRMW build.  The ones in this bag, unfortunately, have no heads.   :o  If you order some, ask for the ones that are not headless.   ;D

Jeff

deemery

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on June 07, 2017, 12:32:35 PM
Frank, have you tried the BEST pigeons?  I think they look pretty good.  They are comparable in size to the SRMW ones.  The top set are from my recent SRMW build.  The ones in this bag, unfortunately, have no heads.   :o  If you order some, ask for the ones that are not headless.   ;D

Jeff
You need a scale cat to account for the headless pigeons!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to