The Tannery

Started by fsmcollector67, November 29, 2017, 12:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAP

Looking good so far Loren.  I'll be tagging along as well.
Mark

postalkarl

Hi Loren:

Is the photo of the door above the one's you need? If so I may have them. Not sure. BEST trains may also have them.

Karl.

S&S RR

Loren

I like the color. Most of the builds I have seen of this kit turn out way too, blue - for my taste. I will be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

fsmcollector67

Janbouli, Mark, Karl, and John,
Great to have you all following along....
Loren....
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

fsmcollector67

So, The door casting mystery unfortunately gets worse. In the kit, is a very large double door casting (see Johns photo). This, along with one of the standard freight doors is missing.
Does anyone know, if George used this in any other kit? I have 40 others sitting around. I checked Wilfred B, but no such luck. It would be just my luck the only door George did as a one off, would be this.
Hopefully John has a close up shot of this, as I can try to build from scratch, and mold for the kit. I really do not want to purchase another kit for just a door casting.....Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated....

Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

S&S RR

Loren

Will this shot work for you?  If not let me know and I will pull the box off the shelf and take one straight on.

When I took these pictures I was worried about the door and window castings because I usually use them in the kit.  I took the pictures to help decide which detail castings might get used somewhere else on my layout.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

fsmcollector67

John,
Thanks...does not get much better than that.
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

fsmcollector67

I thought I had a match from Rollin Sawyer, which is close.
If anyone out there possibly has this casting in their spares box for some reason, please contact me.
It looks like George only used this one for this kit. I pulled some of the other kits from around this time frame, but nothing.
The search will continue.......
9 Fingers Loren.....

MAP

Have you contacted George directly?  He may have one in his "spare box" of parts.
Mark

postalkarl

Loren:

Post A photo of exactly what you need and I will check my doors.

Thanks Karl

fsmcollector67

Mark,
I did not contact George. I have met him once, and I am not one to be a bother to someone....
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

fsmcollector67

Karl,
The photo that John S (S&S RR) posted is the missing one.
Thanks
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

fsmcollector67

So here I am back, licking my wounds from the Tannery debacle. Kind of like finding out Santa's not real. And before any of you jokers out there, who are over 50 come back with a reply of surprise......The Easter bunny does not exist either.....
Thanks to all who have offered their assistance with the matter....

I decided to do a step by step for the process I use for making the freight doors.
1) First is the 1/64 birch base.
2) Than the back planks are glued down. 2x4
3) I add the outer front boards. 1x4, and 1x6
4) The inner cross pieces are added. 1x4
5) finally the rest of details added. 1x2, and handles and such.

the last photo is of a completed, and weathered door...
Thanks for taking a look...
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

rpdylan

Loren,
    You are def. the King of Doors! Thanks for the short little photo tutorial--- "Castings?.... You don't need no stinking castings!" ha ha!
Bob C.

PRR Modeler

Wow Loren, incredible job on the doors.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision