The Tannery

Started by fsmcollector67, November 29, 2017, 12:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsmcollector67

Hey all,
Here is the next scratch build I am going to tackle. The old #11 blade was busy last couple days, as you can see for the majority of the walls are cut out.
I still need a little more B&B for the conveyor shed. The peeling paint effect, I wanted to try something new. I am not sure if I read this someplace, or it just popped into my head. I was standing in Michaels, and I was thinking, "what will paint not stick well to?" WAX was the answer I got. I painted on the  trusty driftwood pickling wash, than a thin coat of clear wax. on top of that goes the Skyline blue. Once this has dried for awhile, I take the euro scratch tool, and lightly scrape off paint here, and there. I than hit it with a grimy black wash, and dry brush ever so lightly with a lighter skyline shade. Excuse the crappy lighting again for the photos. One day I will get it right....
On a side note, the kit that I have, seems to be missing some castings, I think. If anyone out there has the Tannery on a shelf, and can check to see that there should be three of the standard freight doors as pictured, that would be great. If anyone has two of these in their spares box, I would certainly pay for them, so that I can make the kit complete. Thanks for taking a look...
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

PRR Modeler

I'm following.  That's a great shade and I really like the weathering.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

deemery

Thankfully even FSM hasn't figured out how to package 'authentic smells' into a tannery kit!!!

Don't forget to earmark a couple of your railroad's worst cars for hide service, possibly the worst cargo a steam era RR could haul.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

bparrish

Tannery smells.  WOW. That's a scratch and sniff that I will pass on. 

How do you scale down smells???

1/87th of bad is still bad !!!

See ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

GPdemayo

Interesting structure Loren.....I'll be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

S&S RR

A few years back I spent a couple hours photographing the castings from all my FSM kits.  Here's what I found in my Tannery box.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

No smell in my yellow box!
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Yes, I took closeup pictures if you can't see what you need by zooming this picture.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

George took this model off the F&SM - it was on the North River. I asked him about it because it's one of my favorites.  He told me that he tried to move it and destroyed it in the process. So much for the prototype.
John Siekirk

fsmcollector67

Curt, Good to have you aboard..
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

fsmcollector67

Greg,
Thanks for following along...
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

fsmcollector67

John,
Thanks so much for the photo. I will study it, but it does look like what I thought.
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

fsmcollector67

Timbob,
Thanks, that was going to be an option....
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....

Janbouli

Following along , expect another great build.
I love photo's, don't we all.