KC's Workshop X's 2 - Third build Challenge

Started by ACL1504, January 19, 2018, 05:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I trimmed the 2x2's so they fit snug against the windows.

The next photo shows the rear of the left wall section. Note I left some of the 2x2 extend over the ends so I can trim or fit it to the adjoining wall section.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I put two adjoining walls together and trimmed the 2x2's.

Here is a view of two walls and the 2x2's.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

All walls now have the 2x2's glued in place. This project took me about 4 hours extra work. Again, I think it will be well worth the time as I now have better control of where the paint flows for the two color separation.

I will cover wall bracing tomorrow.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

jerryrbeach

Tom,
Now I have yet another reason to follow your build closely.  The Delaware & Northern, which I model loosely, used a belt rail on all their stations.  The smaller stations were of board and batten construction, both above and below the belt rail.  The siding was all one color, but the belt rail was painted in the trim color to match the doors and windows.  So, while you are using the belt rail to get a clean color separation, the procedure you used to construct it is something I can adopt when modeling the D&N stations. 
I love following your build threads, they are always a learning experience for me.  You continue to not only think outside the box, but to expand the box with your modeling.
Jerry

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on January 22, 2018, 08:57:10 PM
Tom,
Now I have yet another reason to follow your build closely.  The Delaware & Northern, which I model loosely, used a belt rail on all their stations.  The smaller stations were of board and batten construction, both above and below the belt rail.  The siding was all one color, but the belt rail was painted in the trim color to match the doors and windows.  So, while you are using the belt rail to get a clean color separation, the procedure you used to construct it is something I can adopt when modeling the D&N stations. 
I love following your build threads, they are always a learning experience for me.  You continue to not only think outside the box, but to expand the box with your modeling.

Jerry,

"Belt rail" was the term I was trying to think of. I could only think of chair rail and didn't want to say that.

Thank you for the very generous and kind compliment on the build and the added belt rail part. I always try to make a structure "my version" when building.

I'm glad you are able to use this for your D&N RR board and batten stations.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

engine909

ACL1504

Quote from: engine909 on January 23, 2018, 01:02:47 PM
Very well done Tom.
ed

Ed,

Thank you kind sir, appreciate the kind support on the build. I twas a fun build.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

In the instructions Kenny mentions bracing and corner trim. He suggested placing the bracing along the side edges of the peaked walls.

However, the front and rear wall sections fit between the two peaked ends. If you place the bracing along the side edges, the front and rear walls won't fit.

The instructions show the front and rear walls set INSIDE the two side/peaked walls.

Corner trim is mentioned as well but no corner trim is shown in the instructions. So brace your walls where the bracing does not interfere with the adjoining walls.

If you choose not to use the corner trim as I did, then be sure to paint the corresponding wall edges accordingly.

Here is how I braced the back of the walls.

Prior to bracing the walls, I test fit the walls to each other to determine where the bracing should be glued.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The inside peaked wall has a slot cut in and the front loading dock wall has a tab. The tab fits into the slot for proper alignment.

I wanted to add an interior brace to the rear of the loading dock wall as shown below.

The two wall sections and the 1/8" bracing are not glued. They are there for your reference as to my comment.

However, if you do this, the 1/8" bracing won't fit flush to the peaked wall section. I've marked in red where you need to remove the batten in this location for this brace to fit flush to the wall. If you decide not to add a brace in this location then you don't need to remove the batten.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here you can see the batten has been removed.

In the next photo you can see where I braced the peaked wall section. I glued the brace the width of the side wall from the edge.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I painted the rear of each wall black. The areas not painted are where glue will be added to glue the walls together.

I then used Hunterline A&I Creosote Black and stained all the front walls. I set them aside to dry.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com