The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Bourey

Hi Tom, What are you gonna use to make your roads? looks like your building all your templates first?  Thanks Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on September 27, 2019, 04:12:25 PM
Tom,

As usual, great progress.  Your placement of the streets makes perfect sense, the roads flow through your scenes and compliment them rather than looking like an afterthought.  I really like the planked crossings, top shelf effort in both design and execution, but I expect no less from you.  Once again, kudos.

Jerry,

Thank you, I have been busy. In reference to the roads, I'll get an overview (birdseye) of the roads in this part of Tahope. You'll see how they all fit together for the structures. I did the planked crossing to have something different other than the constant flow of paved crossings.

Now, you've put the pressure on me to keep up. No problem. I challenge myself more than anything.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: DennisBourey on September 27, 2019, 08:45:32 PM
Hi Tom, What are you gonna use to make your roads? looks like your building all your templates first?  Thanks Dennis

Dennis,

Thanks for stopping by and for the question.

What you see as templates are actually the road bases.  These are glued to the pink foam and then painted and weathered.

When finished it will look like the one shown below. Believe it or not, this road is a cardboard template.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

All the roads are now glued to the pink foam. The main Tahope Highway has the first coat of paint. I used full strength Floquil Guilford Gray to represent the asphalt. The second and final coat will be applied when this coat cures.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I marked concrete expansion joints on 12 ft. centers for the three structures on the west side of the Tahope Highway.

Hollis Pest Control -

Auto and Tire Repair Shop -

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I must have dropped the #17 blade on the road as I see a tear in the carlboad. Apparently I did this after the first coat of asphalt was painted on.

I pealed up the cardboard and used a toothpick to apply a little white glue to the tear.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I placed a weight over the patch and let it dry overnight.

This morning it looks better but still shows. I'll either cover the area with a vehicle of use the spot as a pothole being repaired.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I also added expansion joints in the narrow road between the two county roads.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

jerryrbeach

Tom,

If it matters (and we both know you already have a plan) I vote pothole, though not necessarily under repair.  Coming along nicely as usual.
Jerry

MAP

Looking good Tom.  A pothole being repaired would be a great scenic detail, however placing a vehicle over it is a pretty quick fix.  Where do you get those sheets of cardboard for the road?  I know you told me the time my son and I visited, but that information has fallen out of my head  :o   Also, was there a specific thickness you favor?  Thanks!
Mark

S&S RR

Tom

Great looking road. One pothole in a stretch of road like that may be prototypical for Florida, but not in Michigan. I really enjoy watching the scene come to together.  Laying things out is one of the most enjoyable parts of the hobby for me. Keep up the good work my friend.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on September 29, 2019, 07:06:47 AM
Tom,

If it matters (and we both know you already have a plan) I vote pothole, though not necessarily under repair.  Coming along nicely as usual.

Jerry,

I'm going to make it a pothole but would like to have some workers on it as well. Problem is I haven't been able to find any road workers and a pavement roller machine. I do have the SS Ltd. roller but it is too old period wise.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com