The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Blazeman on February 24, 2019, 07:22:48 AM
Nice work, Tom.  Brings back memories from my 1957 visit to see my grandparents in the Ocala area.  Their must be some scratch in that family in the woods to have a concrete driveway pad. As you depict in the station shot, county roads were unimproved.

I can hear the crickets and birds.

Larry,

I spent many camping trips in the Ocala National Forest. Actually, the concrete pad is for the Three Corners Country Store.

Tom ;D

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Today, I built a two target block signal. It took about 5 hours and is finished except for painting.

This is a kit bash signal using parts from Oregon Rail Supply, 3/32 OD(outside diameter) brass tubing from K&S Metals and LEDs from Miniatronics.

I tested all LEDs prior to starting.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I marked the center on top of the signal box and drilled a 3/32" hole in the top and through the bottom.

I forgot to mention the brass signal box is from NJ International.

I then cut a 5" piece of the brass tubing.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Once I determine the height of the signal the brass tubing will be soldered to the signal box.

I then marked on the brass tubing where I wanted the targets to be located.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used the Dremel tool to grind two openings for the wire.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

One leg of each LED was cut and wires soldered to the cut leg side. I'm only showing one here as the other three were wired after this photo was taken.

Once all wires were soldered, the four LEDs were glued into the back of the targets.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Starting at the top, I fed the wires down the inside length of the brass tube.

I then fed the wires for the bottom signal into the lower hole.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used super glue to secure the targets to the two target braces.

I forgot to mention that the brass tube was tinned with solder prior to feeding the wires through the brass tube.

When the braces were glued to the targets and dry, the long leg of each LED was then soldered to the tinned side of the pole.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then soldered the brass tube to the top of the box.

More in a few, taking a tea break.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I added the finial to the top and also added a ladder and two small platforms.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is how it looks on the layout.

It is now painted and will be installed tomorrow morning.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision