The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

How will the sand get from the hole in the ground up into the wet sand bin?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Bruce Oberleitner

Hi Uncle Tommie,
I've been reading all your post about road building with great interest.  I got  a couple of questions for you

1 .) Did I understand correctly that you use 1ply cardboard like the type you find at Wal-Mart to make art PROJECT?
2.) Two lane highways are 21' or 22' feet wide
3.) Do you prime your cardboard before installing it to the layout?
4.) What's colors do you use for the asphalt?  For your striping? Is that just the Woodland Scenics paint?
5.) Do you sand or texture the cardboard in any way?

I ask all this because your highway road photos look so good I think they are prefect!

As always, a masterful job sir!  Please add another Diet Pepsi to my tab for your efforts!

;D :D :D

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on September 14, 2018, 08:24:31 AM
Looking good Tom. Fantastic modeling my friend!

John,

Thank you very much. It has been fun to add these little details that change the look of the area.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Jerry on September 14, 2018, 10:47:52 AM
Nice work Tom.

Jerry

Jerry,

I very much appreciate the kind compliment my friend. Thank you.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on September 14, 2018, 10:54:06 AM
How will the sand get from the hole in the ground up into the wet sand bin?

dave

Dave,

Magic my friend, much magic. Well, actually I'm working on that now. I need to make it look believable prior to showing what I have in mind.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Bruce Oberleitner on September 14, 2018, 07:52:49 PM
Hi Uncle Tommie,
I've been reading all your post about road building with great interest.  I got  a couple of questions for you

1 .) Did I understand correctly that you use 1ply cardboard like the type you find at Wal-Mart to make art PROJECT?
4.) What's colors do you use for the asphalt?  For your striping? Is that just the Woodland Scenics paint?

I ask all this because your highway road photos look so good I think they are prefect!

As always, a masterful job sir!  Please add another Diet Pepsi to my tab for your efforts!

Cousin Brucie,

I'll answer your questions in detail within the next few days. I need to get a few things together first.

By the way, a couple of questions is only two. Seems like you have a least 6-7 that need an answer. ;D ;D ;D

Couldn't resist my comment and also thank you very much for the kind and generous compliment on the roads.

Tom 8)
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I had a very nice visit from John Mancuso, Cuse, this afternoon. The last time Cuse was here the third level wasn't started, no LEDs were installed and the roundhouse turntable area was only in the discussion stages.

Great to see you again John.

I've finished the sand pit and am working on the structure to move the sand from the pit to the bin.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Bruce Oberleitner

Quote from: ACL1504 on September 16, 2018, 06:57:59 PM
Hi Uncle Tommie,

Cousin Brucie,

I'll answer your questions in detail within the next few days. I need to get a few things together first.

By the way, a couple of questions is only two. Seems like you have a least 6-7 that need an answer. ;D ;D ;D

Couldn't resist my comment and also thank you very much for the kind and generous compliment on the roads.

Tom 8)

Well, I guess you got me there Uncle Tommie.  The trouble is once I get started it seems that the questions just keep a coming!  Must be caused by the fact that I live in a state of constant confusion.  Only thing I Don't seem confused about is what to drink.  Now, where did I leave that open can of Diet Pepsi?

S&S RR

Tom

As always, great work.  It's good to hear that John made it over to see you.  We were talking about you on our travels together in Minnesota. I think John is in need of more train time and less working for a living time.  Just Sayin! I'll be tuning back in to see your solution to the sand pit. ;)
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

Quote from: Bruce Oberleitner on September 20, 2018, 07:57:44 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on September 16, 2018, 06:57:59 PM
Hi Uncle Tommie,

Cousin Brucie,

Tom 8)

Well, I guess you got me there Uncle Tommie.  The trouble is once I get started it seems that the questions just keep a coming!  Must be caused by the fact that I live in a state of constant confusion.  Only thing I Don't seem confused about is what to drink.  Now, where did I leave that open can of Diet Pepsi?

Not a problem Cousin Brucie, not a problem at all.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on September 20, 2018, 08:33:23 PM
Tom

As always, great work.  It's good to hear that John made it over to see you.  We were talking about you on our travels together in Minnesota. I think John is in need of more train time and less working for a living time.  Just Sayin! I'll be tuning back in to see your solution to the sand pit. ;)

John,

Thanks very much, I appreciate you looking in. Yea, I agree in that John needs to schedule more down time for working on the layout. Of course then there is the fact he is making a ton of money as well. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tom 8)
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Cousin Brucie,

In the next couple of weeks I'll be installing a few roads and will go into more detail on how I do them. But for now, I'll give you a compendium of how I did the others.

If you go Part 1 of the A&S thread you'll get some info on how I did some of them. Pages 120-128 I think.

The next two photos are of roads done with 1 ply cardboard.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I did the main road with 2 ply cardboard. Two ply is harder to cut. I had to use a Stanley box cutter for the 2 ply as the #11 blades gave out way to soon.

These photos are of a 2 ply highway. However, the road to the left of the guard rail and the parking lot is all 1 ply cardboard.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

For the roadway stripping I used KwikStripe by Great Plains. They make this tape for stripping airplanes.

I use 1/16" White.

By the way, Great Planes is out of business. I got mine from Jim's Trains and Hobbies out west somewhere.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com