Picture Size Test

Started by S&S RR, April 24, 2014, 08:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

This is the first of a series of pictures to test the presentation quality with different picture starting sizes.

This first picture started out as 4752x3168, 3.32 M.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Same picture run though Picasa 3 set at 3600 pixels then added to my Gallery using Lesson 2.

Starting file size is 2.10 M.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Sized at 2400 pixels - file size 1.08 M

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Sized at 1800 pixels. File size 657K

John Siekirk

S&S RR

File processed through Picasa 3 at 1200 pixels file size 332K.  I don't see any difference in the size of the pictures based on incoming file size. The scroll bar is still required to view the picture with all of the file sizes tested. 

Does anyone else have an idea on how to get the pictures sized to just fit the screen and not require a scroll bar?

John Siekirk

Janbouli

They are all the same size on my monitor until I click on them , then I need to scroll for the really large pictures , I need to scroll above 1500, simply because the photo becomes to large for my screen , I have a 24" monitor , 1980px .

But the 1200 pic is large enough for on this forum, if you want people to be able to download larger pics from you , put them on Flickr as the raw file.  Also , it doesn't need to be more then 150K  at 1200px wide , the quality of the photo is not visibly better with 320K
I love photo's, don't we all.

Janbouli

If you right click on the images and click View Image Info , you'll see that only the 1200 pic is actually the size you claim it to be, the first 2 images are exactly the same size , so either the forum software does that or you scaled it down with Picasa.

I'm not familiar with Picasa , I use Photoshop to edit my photo's to use on my website , and I use Flickr to show full images.
I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on April 25, 2014, 04:51:26 AM
If you right click on the images and click View Image Info , you'll see that only the 1200 pic is actually the size you claim it to be, the first 2 images are exactly the same size , so either the forum software does that or you scaled it down with Picasa.

I'm not familiar with Picasa , I use Photoshop to edit my photo's to use on my website , and I use Flickr to show full images.

Jan

Thanks for the input - before I added the pictures to the gallery the size (files from Picasa) was
1200 pixels - 332K
1400 pixels - 432K
1600 pixels - 544K
2400 pixels - 1.08M
3600 pixels - 2.10M
4732x3168 - 3.32 M original

I'm viewing the forum on my 27 inch monitor HD dell about 2 years old and on my iPad 10 inch monitor and the size is the same but the detail (especially when zooming) is much better with the iPad and Retina display.

My goal is to be able to post the large pictures that you can zoom to look at the details but keep the whole picture on the screen for viewing the post.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

Here is your photo I uploaded. I used Irfanview, free download, to resize and adjust the color. It is 640X426 pixels.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is the same photo in 600X426. No scrolling needed.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

This is another picture shot lengthwise downloaded original size 3.79 M 3168x4752

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Original Steam Hoist picture cropped before downloading to the Forum. Size 2.69 M 384x3018 pixels.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Cropped again. Size 2.24 M 3434x2660 pixels.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is that same picture resized using Picasa at the 600 pixel through 1200 pixel level.  It looks like the 1100 pixel level is as good as it gets without the scroll bars.  I haven't found a way to take the original photographs and directly download them to the gallery without using a photoshop like program. The only way I have found  to show greater detail is to zoom the original picture before processing. I plan to run my photographs through Picasa at the 1100 pixel level before downloading them to the modelers forum and see if I find any exceptions.

John Siekirk

gnatshop

John, I've found that signing on to the forum seems to activate the forum software to resize pictures.

If I view the forum without signing on, many pictures are oversize and have scroll bars to see
the entire picture!
Signing on solves this problem and the entire picture fits the thread!
Found that out when looking at your Camp 18 pictures.