Groovey Jeff's Layout as it was.....

Started by jlgrove, May 09, 2014, 08:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlgrove

I thought it might be nice to throw up a panoramic mix of pics of the layout before it gets completely gone.....the pictures may not be great....I may add more with a little more care and photo prep before it's completely dismantled.....

jlgrove

...more....

jlgrove

..more....at this point, I'm excited to enter into the next layout construction....it will be more specific in all areas, era, materials, locos, rolling stock, etc......I am seriously considering just a logging line......but who knows.....

S&S RR

Jeff

Very nice! Said to see it go, but thanks for sharing it with us. It will be interesting to see what direction your next layout goes in. You have many very nice structures that can be moved.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

MAP

Thanks for the photos Jeff!  Great looking layout.  Wish I could have seen it during an ops session.  I too am interested to see what direction you take with your next layout.  With all you've learned from this one the next will be  even better.
Mark

jlgrove

thanks guys for the kind words.....yeah, I'm pretty excited about the smaller version of a layout.....I was pretty inspired by Bob VanGelder's also, with basically nothing but his kits basically....and that seems to be a direction that I would like to go too.....I think I'm enjoying these lasers just for myself more so than being a kit manufacturer mogul like jimmyd and Doug..... ::) ::)

jlgrove

...and a few more....

coors2u

Wow, Groovy. That is a lot of structures. It's a shame to see it all go. I do like the logging railroad idea though.
Dustin

ACL1504

I had the privilege of visiting this fine layout and am saddened to see it go. However, I understand where Mr. Groovey is coming from and I know where he wants to go! What's the saying, "You don't know where I'm coming from unless you know where I've been"!

Removing an existing layout isn't something for the faint of heart but keeping one's eye on the new gold ring certainly makes it easier.

The good news is that Jeff has any number of ready made structures to fit into the new layout, even if he down sizes.

Jeff, take it from one who knows - just enjoy the ride!

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jlgrove

...yep, Tom's right...I am more excited about the prospect of the new layout and adventure (like what he is going thru now...) than the old layout....I have come to like the saying..."less is more"....we have pretty much decided to "up-size" a bit in NC and the future there seems to be an 18'x24' shed for the layout and lasers....the layout as I've visualized it at this point will be a double deck....(and I like Tom's helix).

....I'll add some pics of my "shed" as I get it finalized.....

GPdemayo

Good luck with your new layout Jeff, I wish I could have gotten up there to see the old one.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

coors2u

If the construction is in NC, I may be able to supply construction beverages.
Dustin

Zephyrus52246

Great looking layout, Groovey.  A shame it has to come down.  Hoping you can start planning/construction on the new one soon.

Jeff

jlgrove

..yeah Dustin, it looks more and more like the "rebirth" of the layout will be in NC.....Wilmington to be exact....so it's easy drive time for you to come down and help out (bring Barrel Trolley's Wheat...) and your wife and kids can go to the beach with my better half.....so it sounds like a plan to me....

.....and it looks like my plan will be to house the "train junk" in it's own building (like our own Tom L. ) utilizing a 12x18 building....with the attached "main" portion of the layout being logging circa 1930's....the lower level will be Western Maryland based April 24, 1952, and the upper level with be Coastal Carolina 1940's......notice that there is also plenty of room for a work area and lasers......

...I love it when a plan comes together.....