Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: Keep it Rusty on March 14, 2021, 11:13:05 AM
I don't ever plan on having a operational layout, but I do aspire to the work that goes into one.

Maybe one day.

Great work as always, John.

Craig

Thank you for the encouraging words - having trains run through the scenes add another dimension - but it is a lot of work.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on March 14, 2021, 12:01:56 PM
Looks wonderful John.

As far as the electric I'd probably end up with a lighted nose instead of a building!! ;)

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for following along and the kind words.

When you touch yourself with the soldiering iron and then jump and bank your head on the benchwork you get this wonderful blue smoke hanging in the air over the mountain tops.  I like to think of it as a weathering technique. ;)
John Siekirk

deemery

People with hair on top of their heads don't realize just how much that protects your noggin when you smack it...

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on March 14, 2021, 12:55:32 PM
People with hair on top of their heads don't realize just how much that protects your noggin when you smack it...

dave

Dave

I use a bump hat when I work under the layout.  I also have a head lamp attached to it. My natural head protection deserted me years ago.
John Siekirk

deemery

Quote from: S&S RR on March 14, 2021, 01:46:02 PM

dave
Dave

I use a bump hat when I work under the layout.  I also have a head lamp attached to it. My natural head protection deserted me years ago.

In places where I've left some skin behind, I've started gluing pieces of styrofoam :-)

dave

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on March 14, 2021, 02:08:07 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on March 14, 2021, 01:46:02 PM

dave
Dave

In places where I've left some skin behind, I've started gluing pieces of styrofoam :-)

dave

I will post a picture of my bump hat - I think it was $10.  It paid for itself the first time I went under the layout with it. My Grandkids know they have to wear one when they go under the layout, too. 
John Siekirk

S&S RR

As promised, here is a picture of my bump hat.  It is basically a baseball hat with a plastic liner. The taped on head lamp is very helpful down under those mountains of mine. Not a fashion statement, but it has saved a lot of bumps and bruises. I spent a couple hours under the layout with it, yesterday, getting the lights going on the Beach Farms diorama.  I hope to take some pictures later, today.

John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

That's A pretty neat piece of equipment. And I'm sure very useful.

Karl

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on March 16, 2021, 09:30:00 AM
Is That OSHA approved?  ;D ;D 8)

The bump hat is - we used to wear them when we were looking into automotive dies back in my working days.  In the crane areas we had to wear full hard hats.  The crane operators would tell you the hard hat was so they had something to put you in if they dropped something on you. It sure made you think about staying out from under their loads.
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Update: Well today I got to see the barn with all those LED's working. It was well worth the time spent - you can see the barn interior by looking through the doors. I tried to take some pictures with my iPhone but they were not worth posting.  I will get out the SLR in the next couple days and post some pictures. I have a few more details that I want to finish in the morning and then it will be time to take pictures - this is something I been waiting for for many months.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

deemery

Quote from: S&S RR on March 16, 2021, 09:00:07 PM
Update: Well today I got to see the barn with all those LED's working. It was well worth the time spent - you can see the barn interior by looking through the doors. I tried to take some pictures with my iPhone but they were not worth posting.  I will get out the SLR in the next couple days and post some pictures. I have a few more details that I want to finish in the morning and then it will be time to take pictures - this is something I been waiting for for many months.

John, which phone do you have?  I read an interesting article about the newest iPhone Pro model's "Raw Pro" format and how you can manipulate that data.  I haven't tried that yet with my phone...  One thing I did notice is that I cannot force the flash to fire, which pisses me off.  There are times when I know better than the phone does when the flash is needed.  I'm sure there's a "more control over the camera" app that will do that, but it always annoys me when Apple 'takes away' things that I used.

dave