Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

I practiced putting the "bridge" in and out enough times that I believe it will work and I'm confident that eliminating the hatch that was going to be under the Sayles Mill complex is a viable solution to any layout maintenance issues in this area. I still plan on having a hatch in the location 4 feet to the left of this bridge location to service the East side of Vansel.  This was critical to moving forward with the Sayles Mill complex, hence the detour on to this project. Back to the builds on my workbenches.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

Hey John:

great progress. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Janbouli

Wow , gotta have a lot of trust in that bridge , and the benchwork underneath it too.
I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on June 02, 2021, 01:17:10 AM
Hey John:

great progress. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Karl

Thank you, it's good to be making progress, again.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on June 02, 2021, 05:23:40 AM
Wow , gotta have a lot of trust in that bridge , and the benchwork underneath it too.

Jan

Thank you for stopping by the thread.

The bridge and benchwork are not going anywhere. The main issues are getting it in place and not having anything in my pockets that can fall on structures. The need for it is one of the downfalls of having all the depth to the layout. I like having the depth.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, I made the baseboards for my next few builds in the Eagles Nest Yard. First was the FSM Brownsville Depot.

You can see the open hatch in the background that serves as the location for my last two challenge builds, more on that latter.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Directly in front of the open hatch will be the FSM Icing platform. I will be removing the sand to set this baseboard down 1/4 of inch.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a couple pictures of the overall scene. Please excuse the clutter. There will be some more structures on the left and right of the Depot. I'm still working out exactly what I want to put in that area. I'm sure looking forward to completing the scenery and putting the finishing touches on this area.  I will be getting started on that for the area reachable through the open hatch in the next few weeks.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The hatch cover serves as the baseboard for my challenge builds from the last two years. The FSM 145 coaling tower, 2020 build challenge, http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=4874.0 and SRMW Tucker & Cook this years build challenge http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=5582.0. I have moved it to my workbench to finish up the detailing on this years challenge build. See the build threads listed above for the details on this process.

John Siekirk

jrmueller

Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

S&S RR

John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

Your layout is magnificent and very well done. The bridge is a stroke of genius. Certainly better than a hatch.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

How will the hatch work?  2 people, one to push up from underneath and the other to grab it?  Or will everything be nailed down tight so you can tilt the hatch and pass it through the hole?  I always learn from your engineering!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Mark Dalrymple

Looking terrific, John.

How is the design on the town of Vansel going?

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on June 03, 2021, 02:29:20 PM
John,

Your layout is magnificent and very well done. The bridge is a stroke of genius. Certainly better than a hatch.

Tom  ;D

Tom

Thank you for your kind words - The bridge is a good solution to the accessibility in this area. I tested it by doing the final fitting work for the Sayles Mill using it.  The problem I have with hatches is I seem to create mini tornadoes with my arms trying to work through them. There are three areas on the layout where I need access by way of a hatch or a bridge.  I'm designing two of the three for both methods.
John Siekirk