Started by NEMMRRC, October 30, 2019, 08:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey Jaime:

That model is coming along very nicely. I really like the colors you chose. May I make A suggestion on assembling your roofs. I have not used glue in years. I use 3M #4659007063 double faced adhesive tape. I will cut you time in half and no glue oozing out. I also use it for gluing my signs to walls. It's great no messy spreading of glue. You will also probably find other uses for it also. Your hardware store can probably get it for you. Let me know what you think.

Karl

ACL1504

Jaime,

Nice build and kit. I agree with Karl, NO GLUE. Double sided tape is one way and I personally like using Elmer's Glue sticks. Unlike the double sided tape, the glue stick lets you move it prior to the glue setting.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

MAP

Really looking great Jaime.  Thanks for all of the progress photos.
Mark

NEMMRRC

Quote from: JimF on December 18, 2019, 08:14:57 AM
Jaime,

Meant to ask, did the kit come with the printed interiors for the shops, or are they something you came up with?

Jim
I kept trying to answer but I got the database error every time.

I found the interiors out on the internet.

I have not decided if I will make a diorama.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: postalkarl on December 18, 2019, 02:27:15 PM
Hey Jaime:

That model is coming along very nicely. I really like the colors you chose. May I make A suggestion on assembling your roofs. I have not used glue in years. I use 3M #4659007063 double faced adhesive tape. I will cut you time in half and no glue oozing out. I also use it for gluing my signs to walls. It's great no messy spreading of glue. You will also probably find other uses for it also. Your hardware store can probably get it for you. Let me know what you think.

Karl
thanks, Karl.

I've used the 3M transfer tape before. I am not very precise so I need some time to line up everything. with the 3M transfer tape you only get one chance to put stuff down right. so I only use the 3M transfer tape when I can fix any misalignments without to much difficulty. but yeah, that 3M transfer tape is pretty neat stuff.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: ACL1504 on December 18, 2019, 03:28:21 PM
Jaime,

Nice build and kit. I agree with Karl, NO GLUE. Double sided tape is one way and I personally like using Elmer's Glue sticks. Unlike the double sided tape, the glue stick lets you move it prior to the glue setting.

Tom ;D
thanks, Tom.

I've used the glue stick before and it is really handy. I only recently found the one stick I purchased a while back. So it is likely I'll use it for other purposes.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: PRR Modeler on December 18, 2019, 09:00:52 AM
Great modeling.
Thank you!

The kit's design is what attracted me to it. CCK does a great job with kit designs,

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: MAP on December 18, 2019, 05:24:12 PM
Really looking great Jaime.  Thanks for all of the progress photos.
You got it!

The photos help me remember what I've done and check out if I've made mistakes.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Sometimes you have to cheat to get ahead.

I find it difficult to glue all this stuff together a lot of the time. Mostly it is due to the lack of surface area on the tiny parts that make up these kits. So, wherever I can, I cheat.

In this example I will show how I add cleats to the inner walls and the provided base of the main building. This allows me to "key" the building to its base and provides extra surface area when it is time to glue the building permanently on its base. I need to key the building to its base so it rests in the same spot each time I remove it and replace it as I am working on the thing.

Here is what I did on this kit.

I added cleats to the inner walls of the main building (square strip wood).
I placed the building on its base.
I traced the spot where the cleats glued to the inner walls meet the base.
I glued a cleat to the base right where the inner wall cleat meets the base.
I key the building to the base in the only way it fits once all the cleats have a mate.

Here are the visuals.

I also do it for the roofs. I glue square strip wood so the roof keys into the building. That way the roof overhang is the same each time I remove and replace the roof as I work on the building. Once the roof is ready to go on permanently, it can only fit in one way on the building.

Give it a try.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

I'm not quite ready to start scenery but when I am, this is where it'll go.

More as it develops.

Jaime

deemery

Jaime's use of 'cleats' reminds me: I suggested to Tim Warris that he add "bracing packs" to his product line, 25 1/8 x 1/8, 8 1/8 x 3/16, 7 1/4 x 1/4   Those are the sizes that I use most frequently for bracing, etc.

If you think that's a useful idea, let Tim know. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

NEMMRRC

Quote from: deemery on December 20, 2019, 07:08:07 PM
Jaime's use of 'cleats' reminds me: I suggested to Tim Warris that he add "bracing packs" to his product line, 25 1/8 x 1/8, 8 1/8 x 3/16, 7 1/4 x 1/4   Those are the sizes that I use most frequently for bracing, etc.

dave
+1

Jaime

Oldguy

Quote from: deemery on December 20, 2019, 07:08:07 PM

dave
Maybe he heard you.  You can by x/x or fractional sizes either prepackaged or in bulk.  Buying in bulk is definitely cheaper.

And Jamie, great build.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

NEMMRRC

thanks for all the feedback. it makes the build more fun.

so just to show that I am not a glue snob, here are some photos of me using a glue stick for one roof card and transfer tape for a second roof card.

transfer tape is almost like CA glue to me. i manage to get it where it ought not go....

your mileage may vary, etc...

Jaime