Great Lakes Lighthouse Diorama

Started by Jim Donovan, November 15, 2019, 11:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Donovan

Over the past year I won a HO Scale Customs photo contest receiving a small Railroadkits.com kit (The Scale Shack). I also received a free FOS Scale Models kit (Rosco's Roast Beef Stand) by buying a $50.00 kit when they ran one of their specials. Together with some amazing textured paper from Greece and the first Jorden I ever built I plan to make a small diorama. The paper will be used in several areas, the main one as the column for a lighthouse.

So here are the four main components of the diorama:

The scene will be of a setting next to one of the great lakes during the 1930's. The depression is taking its toll but life goes on. A lighthouse will dominate with a food stand, the keeper's house and bus making up the major structures.

The design of the base is like I used at a scenery clinic during EXPO 2018. The textured paper can be bought on ebay. What makes it different is the amount of texture as well as the quality of the printing. I was told by another forum member the paper was originally designed as wall paper. It was a flop so someone got the idea to flip it over and print the brick scenes.

I used a stone texture to cover the foam base. The back will act as a seawall for the scene. A small brick version is used for the foundation on the shed, which will now be the light keepers house. I may use yet another style as the scene progresses.

Here is what the original kit from FOS looks like:

I decided to see how much detail I could add to the small kit. Changes included adding rafter tails, changing the main roof to a wood shake style, adding trim boards where needed, sanding flush the clapboard around the windows and door for better fit. Windows are Clover House glass. The front part of the structure got a little bit of interior added as well as a door to the back building. To address how water can get off the sloped front roof I will add a drain and downspout. A kick plate is already in place. Some additional trim pieces need adding but that is it.

The Light keeper house, like the roast beef stand had some changes made. Here I used a new style of wood shake that is made of real wood. To make the structure look well used I bowed the roof and even had some green mold added.

The bus is a Jorden 1934 version. It is the first Jorden I have built and was a lot of fun assembling.

Finally the lighthouse. At the moment all you can see is the column with the stone applied. I look forward to figuring out how to make it come to life, as well as the entire diorama.

Till Next Time, thanks for reading.

Jim D

Holland & Odessa Railroad

postalkarl

Hey Jim:

This looks like a great project. I'm along for the ride.

Karl

jerryrbeach

Jim,

Looks like an interesting project.  I like the way you covered the base with the stone embossed paper.  I'll be following your progress.
Jerry

Jim Donovan

Thanks Jerry. I'm trying thing out I want to do on layout, figured I'd learn on small stuff first.

Jim D

bandman

Very interesting indeed, Jim.  I'm a newbie on here and also will be following your progress.

Horton M.

Jim Donovan

Hi Karl and Horton;

Glad you are along for the ride.

Jim D

Opa George

Jim, great idea for a diorama and a really good start with those two structures. The use of the scale house as a light keeper's residence is a neat idea and it fits the role well. I like your extra detailing on the structures. The embossed stone paper looks excellent in the close ups--I'm impressed with it and may have to check some of that material out.

Looking forward to your lighthouse, as I am also planning to build a lighthouse but haven't really started on ideas yet--so this will be an excellent thread to follow.

--George

ACL1504

Jim,

Excellent start, I'm in the gallery as well.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jim Donovan

The diorama lighthouse will be modeled as if on a harbor entrance on one of the Great Lakes but is not a prototype structure. The light keeper house has an advertisement for Michigan, so the connection. I found a plan of a typical lighthouse and will be using it for reference.

Jim Donovan

I am going to use the new Silhouette Cameo 3 printer my wife bought. While it is not designed to cut thick styrene or basswood, I am going to use it to print out cardboard mockups and hopefully it will cut the thin styrene needed for the copula. This is the first project I have used it so we will see what happens.

Jim Donovan

I am having posting problems so will try to post the balance of update later.

Jim D

GPdemayo

Looks like a neat scene Jim.....I'll be watching.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Jim:

Very well done so far. Can't wait to see it done.

Karl

Jim Donovan

Thanks folks, it sure has been a learning experience so far. Now if I can just get the web site to upload my updates and photos.

The design program I use for designing stuff is the free open source Inkscape running on my Mac desktop computer. I am strictly an amateur with this program but I have learned enough to design, print out the walls, roof and catwalk floor. The Silhouette has its’ own design program that comes with it. While not as complete as Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator, it too would get the job done.

After a true learning curve over a couple of days, I was able to print out the parts needed. The sticky mat you are suppose to place the material on for cutting was just not strong enough to hold the plastic sheet in place. Using masking tape to hold the .5mm styrene plastic sheet to the printing mat I was able to have the Cameo accurately cut the design. However, I was not able to cut all the way through the material. I had to snap out the parts from the sheet and with a little sanding the parts are usable. I printed two five sided star pattern parts with holes in the middle. The holes are to allow a plastic straw to slide through the openings and allow the lighthouse to be built while on a stick. At the right point the straw will be sized, cut and glued in place so the electric wiring and lighthouse LED bought from  Nngineering can be installed.

At this point the Boss and I headed off on a two week Caribbean cruise. My wife knows me so she suggested I bring something to putter on while on the trip. So I gathered up what I needed to continue the lighthouse project and off we went. More in a little while.

Jim D

Jim Donovan

OK we are back and I need to try and catch up on the build. I have tried to post for the past two weeks but have been unable due to site issues. Tonight it looks like things might be working.

The tower for the light house started life as a cardboard core for a roll of toilet paper. I can hear the jokes already. The roll is 26 scale feet in length and 12 feet in diameter. By making a V cut the length of the tube and gluing the tube back together I made it a cone with the top reduced to 10.5 feet in diameter. So it looked like this