Company houses

Started by madharry, December 25, 2019, 11:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madharry

A friend has tasked me to scratchbuild three one-storey company houses to be displayed on a new exhibition layout his club is building. He sent me an Alamy photo of what he required. I will not post it here due to copyright laws etc. However here is a floorplan of the houses required.
Mike

madharry

I started out by cutting some walls and eaves from Northeastern basswood. The windows in his picture seemed to be similar to the Tichy #8024 6/6 double hung windows. Luckily I had a few in stock. I will not be using them in the rear walls which will not be seen by viewers as the houses will back onto a backscene. The white piece of thick plasticard will be used to cut out the window areas on the walls.

Mike

GPdemayo

Company houses are great builds for a steam era railroad.....small footprint and simple design. I'll be looking in Mike.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

JimF

Following along, Mike, like the floor plan.

Nice to see a actual build thread.

Jim

madharry

Thanks Greg and Jim, I'm away at the other place for a couple of days so modelling will be on hold. Thanks for following.
Mike

ACL1504

Mike,

I'm  following as well. Looks like a fun project.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Count me in as well!  My son gave me a great book on railroad and coal mining for X-Mas.  There are some great photo's of company houses and coal patches (small coal mining towns built around the mines).
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

madharry

Thanks for following Tom and Bob. Sounds like a nice present Bob.
Here is my method on cutting out windows. It is pretty basic but.......
I measured the inside frame or rear of the windows and cut a thick piece of plasticard to match. I lost the first piece which disappeared off my modelling table never to be seen again!Using the pictures that I cannot publish as a guide I placed the plastic on the back of the wall. Making sure first it was the right way up. Then I used a pen to draw around the plastic before using a knife to cut the wall. Voila the window fits perfectly. Now I have only got to cut out another eleven.
Mike

postalkarl

hey Harry:

Looks like you are off to a good start. Always love watching your builds.

Karl

darrylhuffman

Mike, nice idea about cutting out windows.

I think that is the only part of model building that I do not like to do.

Your method may fix that problem for me.

Thanks.

Darryl
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@gmail.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1J2Ord8fgo3yR6veiI7b_g/videos

ACL1504

Mike,

Nicely done. I've been using that method of cutting our windows for years. It sure helps to have a blank the size of the window.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

madharry

Thanks for watching Karl. Darryl I hope it helps. Tom thank you Sir.
Here are the completed walls. As the three houses will be identical I took special care to make all the window cut outs equally spaced.
Mike

madharry

Sorry about the delay. Covid lockdown of 250 days and counting had something to do with it........... With a pending house move my friend queried where is scratch built company houses were. I have managed to forage in my "I will have a use for that sometime" bin and this is the current result. Getting there!
Mike

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

hey Mike:

beautiful job on the company houses.

Karl