Backwoods NE in Florida

Started by cuse, December 21, 2013, 08:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldbloodhound

Quote from: Cuse on September 26, 2015, 12:13:22 PM
Possible placement of structures on and around the smaller wharf. I'll have to consult with Bob about removing the sidewalk - I'd rather move the Hot Dog joint than damage it. I imagine lots of activity - people, lobster traps, all kinds of nautical details around.

John

Nice.  If you're modeling Wiscasset you really need a Red's Eats.  It's just up the street from the river.

cuse

Thanks guys. The only things I stole are the name and bits of the trestles  ;D Cool little place, though.

Bob, any help on that would be appreciated. I'm still traumatized by the surgery I did on the heirloom FSM depot. I feel like I dodged a bullet with that one.

John

cuse

I tried to fight it, but...I couldn't. I had to order Doug's new kit. So now, I have Execution Rocks, Printers Row, and Bar Mills' Cundy Harbor on the shelf. It honestly may be years, but there will be a major re-work of my layout (if not a complete re-do). I'm happy with my layout's progress and it's look and the progress I've made in my own capabilities, but...we have an expression in my family:   "Gotta Do".

I think if you connected Doug Foscale's dioramas for Execution Rocks, Oyster Hill, and Printers Row(the new one)...you'd have my favorite layout ever. I think his landscaping, waterfront scenery, use of levels and roads, and, of course, his structure modeling and weathering is absolutely captivating. They all have so much character and personality. That's what's on my mind. As far as tracks, that will absolutely be secondary.

I'm not in any hurry to jump in, but I'm basically looking at anything else I do as "practice", until I re-work the layout.

cuse

Here's what I've been up to. Fallberg station by Downtown Deco. My first Hydrocal kit...lotta fun. Still have a lot to do.

This morning, I cleaned the wheels of my locos and cleaned all of the track to rule out a few reasons why my newest acquisition is struggling. It showed progress so, feeling frisky, I removed the contacts on the bottom, scraped them a bit, and bent them to provide a little more friction against the wheels. I did all of this with the idea that, if I see progress, it would at least give me some insights as to what needs to be addressed. It did run quite a bit better, but still a C+.

Here are some pics...

ACL1504

John,

The rock work on Fallberg looks great. Happy to hear the little tea kettle is running better.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

cuse

Thanks Tom. I really enjoy the Downtown Deco castings.

Here's some sunset photos on the Wiscasset waterfront. Special effects provided by real sunset outside the window.

John

Zephyrus52246

GPdemayo

Nice work on the Fallburg Station John. Ya gotta love that "little" steamer!  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Janbouli

Great John especially nice job on the piers.
I love photo's, don't we all.

cuse

Thanks for checking in guys...John

cuse

Rash is such an ugly word. I prefer "man of action" and "decisive"   ;)

This land grab signals the end of my n scale forced perspective experiment. I now have a handful of n scale built up craftsman kits for sale and a couple of nice boats and bunches of vehicles, etc. If you know anyone, let me know. Sorry Jan, you're on your own brother.

John

ACL1504

The end of an era, I didn't think it would happen! Congratulations on the land grab. Jan will be okay as well. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

I'm looking forward to seeing what that corner morph's into John!   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

More real estate for structures......way to go John! 8) 8) 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

cuse

"If you're going to eat a frog, don't look at that sucker for too long" :o ...instant demolition

Also, new resident courtesy of Tom. I am helping him out since he doesn't have room to store it...he owes me for this.  :)

John