Backwoods NE in Florida

Started by cuse, December 21, 2013, 08:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

John,

Looks great so you better get that bridge fixed.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Erieman

John,

I really like the recent photos, especially the last one with the view of the back of the engine. Not something you typically see, but looks wonderful. Sorry about the person in the photo. Any chance you could re shoot this one? The scenery really captures the North Woods. More photos please. We can't get enough photo's.

Frank / Erieman

cuse

I'm telling my wife you said that...she's not going to me let me play with you guys any more.
:o

John

S&S RR

John

I stopped by this evening to revisit your thread.  I found the narrative on the layout and the pictures very inspirational. First class modeling.  I hope I get to visit your layout some day.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

cuse

So far today, I chopped out the offending bridge so my K-37 can make a full lap of the layout. At very slow speeds, she stalls on a couple of very tight spots in the curves, but at 20+ on the Digitrax (still slow), she rolls through. I'm examining the NNGC clinic schedule and there's one on building a Hunterline 30' King Post Truss Bridge. Sign me up! That looks like it would fit right in the same spot and look a whole lot better than the Atlas N Scale girder bridge that was in residence.

I had to back a freight train into the Enginehouse to let Big Sister go by. Also shown is the latest look at the Bar Mills Barn I'm working on. Still needs roofing (a nice variety), clutter and some weathering. I'm also going to build a minute "foundation" under it, so it will sit nicely half on the wharf and half off. Some sort of signage for a seafood distributor is in the future too. Maybe something precariously mounted on the roof.

John

cuse

John,

You and anyone here are certainly welcome to visit if you're in the Orlando, FL area. I'm very pleased with the way some of the pics represent the layout. However, the layout tour has been clocked at around a minute and a half...it's pretty small.  ::)

Also, any of you notice that the beautiful new engine is a little too beautiful? I ordered it "weathered" and I'd say it's "matte-ed out" at best. First time I was ever less than staggered by Blackstone's excellence. I guess it's hard to please everybody on such a subjective thing as weathering. :o  Live and learn. My preference would be beat up, faded, rusted, and filthy. When I'm in Houston, I'll definitely be looking for more offbeat detail parts to add to the engine like stray tools and toolboxes, maybe some antlers? I want it to become a real "character" some day...doesn't Malcolm Furlow live out that way...he'd be the perfect guy for the job.

John

GPdemayo

Glad to hear you demo'ed the bridge John.....we'll have to visit and watch that big beast rumble thru the scenes.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

You mean the new bridge isn't built yet? DeMayo, send him some workers.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Erieman

Who is building the bridge? Greg or the one armed bandit? John the layout is looking fabulous. Enjoy your trip to Houston. If you get to the vendor floor, say hello to the boys from Coronado Scale Models. Remember to see Gil Freitag's layout. It will bring back memories of model Railroader magazine from years past. Have a great trip.

Frank / Erieman

cuse

My little friends from Houston arrived yesterday, along with a boxful of stuff I picked up at the NNGC. The green engine is unpowered, the Porter might as well be (so far). I honestly think static dioramas are in my future...none of my modeling frustrations come from scenery! :P

John

PennsyJ1

Hey John, You are adding more stuff all the time. Engines look cool ;D so does the layout my friend..
Bill Cutler
bcutler123@comcast.net

cuse

Thanks Bill...I must admit that my visit to the Narrow Gauge convention and, particularly, Mike Engler's clinic and Karl Allison's engine house, I'm seriously considering trashing my layout and starting over...scene by scene, diorama style - with less concern for geography, track plan, etc. I just want to do great scenes!

Just a wild hair...I hope it passes :o

John

jlgrove

John....maybe great minds think alike....since my space is at a premium with my new layout, I am attempting to make each scene "cluttered chaos" all with a believable scene with roads etc., to make it as real to life as I can....this scene includes 9 removable dioramas, plus some individual structures.....all with realistic roads going to the business etc.....in a space of 27"x60".....not to mention the second level yet....so I'm happy with my start on this so far....I too am not even sure if I care about locos running......I'll post some additional pics and progress on my PVTC thread....

cuse

Jeff,

I'm not looking for encouragement...I'm looking for someone to talk me down before I do something nutty!!! ;D

Good looking structures on your modules.

John

Janbouli

Not going to try to talk you down , but maybe it would be a good idea to do a diorama or 2 and then get back to the layout , see how you feel about it then.
I love photo's, don't we all.