Backwoods NE in Florida

Started by cuse, December 21, 2013, 08:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuse

OK...I put in a few hours today and shook off the "slacker" label. I actually even completed one of my most dreaded and unfulfilling tasks...I installed a Tortoise switch machine! I also took everything Bachman OFF the layout and that immediately had a positive effect on the quality of performance overall. Doesn't look like I'll be ripping up all my track anytime soon...It's a good thing nobody carries the funky Peco HOn30 "crazy" track, or I probably would have a box on the way and there'd be no turning back.

Where is that Atlas N S-2 DCC with Loksound Locomotive they promised for late 2013? - not a peep online. Hopefully, more to come tomorrow, probably nothing picture-worthy. I can't wait to slap down some more scenery when I get through this micro-soldering and thankless-under-the-layout nightmare

ACL1504

John,

Seems like you are getting closer to making some sort of guage change! Working on the layout and thinking of other track sizes can be a bit frustrating.

I'm quite confident you'll be on your way when the issue is decided.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

cuse

No Tom...I think I'm settled in with HOn30. I've had concerns with the performance of the Atlas Code 55 turnouts from way back. When combined with crappy, unforgiving Bachmann locos and, admittedly, my lack of patience for all things tedious ::) , I'll have some difficulties.

I first was thinking of new Peco track, primarily for the tie spacing and the opportunity to run those new Minitrains rtr sets that are coming out. I contacted them and was told code 55 wouldn't cut it. I've used Peco track and turnouts before and found them to be more forgiving.

Bottom line (for now, at least)...I'm going to focus on getting my frogs powered, my track clean, my few good engines optimized (or replaced) and try to get back to scenery and the stack of kits in my closet asap.

bparrish

Cuse...

I run really small light brass locomotives in HO and n3 and came up with an all wheel pick up method for locos and tenders.

Go to my "Basic Electricity .. no math page on the baggage car thread and go to late in the discussion. It shows how I use phosphor bronze wipers from Kadee M5 couplers on all wheels.  Let me know if you have any more questions than what is there.  They work good and zero maintenance once installed.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

cuse

Yesterday, upon hearing that the Foscale Enginehouse, built by Reading Bob, was completed, I ran over and picked it up from his house. It looked perfect! Unfortunately, I had a cookout with friends happening immediately after, so I really didn't get much time to place, photograph or further plan.

From my most basic layout planning, I wanted a remote engine servicing area that was buried in the trees. I'll have a low scenic ridge and lots of dense evergreens strategically blocking the viewer's ability to get a complete unobstructed view of an interesting, cluttered scene.

Long way from here to there, but you get the idea.

John

ACL1504

John,

Of course, Bob did his usual fantastic job on the structure and the spot you picked for it seems perfect. It looks good back in the woods.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

gnatshop

John, did you get this offer from Model Railroad Hobbyist?
I immediately thought of you.

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=571743ad1254f1d0593e8f68d&id=dcee54e4e5&e=8ac5d388fd

cuse

Thanks Gnat, I did see that. I already have his 2 disc scenery DVD set. I don't really care to buy the operations and fleet stuff (never say never). Leaving for the Florida Keys in the am. Better hit the sack.

John

Twist67

Hi there,
nice looking layout.... :)

Regards,Chris

cuse

I didn't really do anything on the layout (other than ponder), so we'll call this a "glorified bump"  :)

I was away for a couple of days for the holiday and just kept coming back to the idea that I might be foolish to build any more scenery while I have questions about my trackwork and reliability of operation. Even my Tortoise-powered turnouts are a constant problem for my little four wheel HOn30 locos. Even double-headed, they rarely make it through. I built a previous layout with Atlas Code 55 N scale track and it never ran well. I have a notebook full of ideas...one of my favorites is to pull up the track and replace it with bulletproof MicroEngineering HOn3 track and christen it with a beautiful Blackstone sound-equipped, ultra-detailed steamer. The minimum radius would be 18", so I would have to bump out the layout in at least one spot(maybe two) for a larger curve. This would also involve some minimal scenery destruction, but nothing I couldn't live with. No decisions made yet...

Here are my two little nemesis posing on a turnout.

This is the machine shop from the Fos Enginehouse that Reading Bob built. This placement is growing on me...the white paper is a mocked up Bar Mills Barn that I have yet to build.

John

ACL1504

Cuse,

Very nice little dock scene. I hope you can resolve the little switcher issue! You'll be much happier with the layout and you won't have that particular issue constantly on your mind.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

cuse

Regarding my possible HOn3 transition...if I'm going to 18" radius anyway, maybe just stop swimming upstream and join the masses in HO. The narrow gauge appeal of those tiny Blackstone RTR beauties is very much a draw for me. Are there many/any high-quality, smallish, DCC-equipped locos in HO standard gauge that would rival their performance?

Just doing my due diligence here  :-\

GPdemayo

Looking good John!

Go ahead and make the jump, you'll definitely have a better selection of engines in HO.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

bparrish

John...

I've had a lot of fun with HO n3 and as you say.......... there are some great locomotives out there.

Regarding rolling stock......... there are several good manufacturers of rolling stock including Labelle.

O n30 has gotten a good roll lately as Bachmann has come with some good reasonably priced locomotives but I am never going to stray too far from HO.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

cuse

Peco HOn3 code 70 track, Blackstone C-19. Whole new ball game. 8)