North Pole Square of The Polar Express

Started by carl b, September 18, 2021, 12:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Another fabulous part of your scratch build.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

carl b

Paul, Jerry and Curt, thank you for your positive comments.
Carl

carl b

I threaded and glued 0603 LEDS thru the tubes with their leads exposed. I already have mounted solder points with copper tape at the ready.

Now with the lights soldered in and dressed, I can't choose the value appropriate resistors, until I get a count on the total for the entire project. This will be left open till then.

Front and back smooth masonry walls will hide the electronics. This is .020" styrene glued to a card backer.

My own diamond shingles, cut with the pinking scissors, will be used for a small roof on this piece. Cut on the curve, and only very short pieces to maintain alignment.

I need 8 Tuscan style columns, which are 7/32" styrene tube, .030" sheet cut into 2 different size squares, and a .02" "ring".

Columns painted and attached, except for one where I will pass the power wires up from a column and attach to the distribution section.

Nearly finished , many touch ups necessary....

Till next time...a Labelle Co. Interurban car
Carl

vinceg

Keeps getting remarkabler. Loving watching this come together. Thx, Carl.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

PRR Modeler

Beautiful scratch building. Truly a work of art.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

PaulS

Carl, this build and the results are coming along wonderfully !!
What also strikes me is the level of planning, design and problem solving that goes on 'behind the curtain'.  I can only assume that you have an equal share of design and development as you do actual modeling on these spectacular builds.
Just keeps getting better,
Thanks and all the best,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

Mark Dalrymple

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!!!

You continue to inspire, Carl.  Your model is looking truly magnificent.

Cheers, Mark.

deemery

Current Limiters are a much better choice than messing with calculated resistor values....   Unfortunately, the MicroLumina tip sheet on using those is not available right now.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

carl b

Vince, Curt, Paul and Mark thank you very much. I appreciate your continued interest.

Dave- I disagree current limiters are a "better" choice. CL1 and CL2's output a consistent 20ma, therefore the LED is at full brightness. I don't want that. I would still have to add a resistor after the limiter to reduce the brightness to realistic levels.

Additionally, there's price....in bulk, limiters are approx. $.50- 1.00 ea.,  resistors are .02 ea. This project uses 32 LEDS.

Bill Santore (Microlumina) and I have discussed this matter, and he agreed the "resistor only" works fine & only requires more math. Online resistor calculators are available, but during my 40 year career in electronics maintenance, I used this equation: P = I^2_R. 
Carl

deemery

Well, if you worked in electronics maintenance, then you probably know how to read resistor bands :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

carl b

Carl

postalkarl

Hey Carl:

Great job on the bridge so far.

Karl

carl b

Thanks Karl.

Actually it's a colonnade, a row of columns connected by its own roof.
Carl

GPdemayo

Looks good Carl.....nice addition to the scene.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

carl b

Carl