Interaction Hobbies - The Ventoura Mobile Home with interior detail kit

Started by ReadingBob, June 19, 2024, 11:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Okay.  Time for my next adventure.  Two kits, both from Interaction Hobbies.  The Ventoura Mobile Home and The Meth Lab Detail Kit.  When I showed the latter to my wife (a big Breaking Bad fan), she insisted I buy it (with the optional Walt and Jesse figures of course).  Even though it doesn't fit the era I hope to model I bought it so now I have to build it!

Don't expect frequent updates to this build thread.  As you'll see, there's a lot of 'details' that make up the lab.  I'll be painting (and decaling) those details for quite a while I'm afraid.

The mobile home package.  For what it's worth that's Edward G. Robinson on the TV.  I was watching "Key Largo" while I unpacked this to take pictures.  ;D  

The Meth Lab Detail kit.  Okay, the picture is a little blurred but the link I posted above takes you to the web page where you can see a bunch of pictures of this one.

The mobile kit home comes with a nice instruction book, sheets of laser cut parts and templates/part lists.

The Meth Lab Detail Kit comes with a nice instruction book as well along with all kinds of goodies.

In particular a lot of 3D printed parts.  

That's exactly where I'm at right now.  I need to clean up the parts and devise a plan as to how I'm going to approach painting/decaling them.  I may need a trip to the hobby shop as well to pick up some paints.  

Thanks for following along!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

I'll definitely be looking in on this one Bob.....if you need it to blow up or burn down, don't forget we still have our own Demolition Man AKA  The Firestarter.  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Jerry

Well this will be different.  Lot's of detail parts to paint.

I'll follow along for sure.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Zephyrus52246

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Quote from: GPdemayo on June 20, 2024, 11:00:22 AMI'll definitely be looking in on this one Bob.....if you need it to blow up or burn down, don't forget we still have our own Demolition Man AKA  The Firestarter.  ;)

I bet Jimmy D still has nightmares about that. ;) Glad to have you following along!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Jerry on June 21, 2024, 11:19:42 AMWell this will be different.  Lot's of detail parts to paint.

I'll follow along for sure.

Jerry

It's certainly something different for me!  I've done a few smaller things from Interaction Hobbie, vending machines and what not, but haven't tried a structure prior to this.  Thanks for following along!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on June 21, 2024, 02:19:28 PMCool.  Can't wait to see you work on all those details.

Jeff

:) It may take a little while.  I do all my airbrushing out in the garage with the door open.  It can get a bit toasty/sticky out there this time of the year.  I have to get everything ready and then look for an opportune time.  
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: ACL1504 on June 21, 2024, 03:18:40 PMBob,

I'm in on this one as well.

Tom

Thanks for following along, Tom.  Just don't tell your buddies on the force what I'm up to.   8)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ACL1504

Bob,

Sounds like this may be one of those sleezy trailer parks.

Can't be any worse than the Red Light District, or can it?

Tom 
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Time to catch you all up on this one.  I warned that it'd be slow (even though I have nothing better to do these days) because there are a ton of detail parts that need to be painted and decaled.

The "lab" comes with three Tichy drums.  The sprues are really thick on these things so the sprue cutter I normally use won't work.  For these I use an old pair of flush cut rail nippers.

I smooth the bottom of the drum by running it over an emery board.

The drums, in this case, have the top on them so I removed the metal tops from the carriers using the regular sprue cutters I have.  These come with metal and wood tops.  I discard the wood tops.

I added just a tiny bit of plastic cement to the inside of the drum before pressing the top in place.  Probably not even necessary since these are a pretty tight fit but what the heck.

Just press the top in place and make sure it's level, not slanted,

More in a moment.... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

I used the sprue cutters to remove some of the 3D printed detail parts from their carriers.

Some of the tanks have a little valve (also 3D printed) that needs to be attached to the top.  The opening in the tank wasn't big enough for the value to fit in so I had to use a drill to open it up a bit.

A few of the 3D printed parts didn't have enough clearance to allow the sprue cutter to get in there so I used a fine-toothed razor saw to carefully remove them.

For the most part removing everything went well.  The material is a little brittle so there were two or three little oops moments, where I broke off something that I shouldn't have, but all will be easy to hide.  I dipped everything in 90% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol to clean it up prior to painting.

I laid everything out on an old jelly roll pan, held in place with strips of painter's tape that were taped sticky side up to the pan.  Note: The first tow rows are things related to the "lab".  The rest are unrelated detail castings that I need to paint for something else.

More in a moment... ;D 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

The stuff in the prior post was primed using and airbrush and Floquil Reefer Gray.  While that was curing I moved on to paint and assemble the box fans.  I removed some of the parts from the carrier sheets using a single edged razor blade.  These contained two tiny little circles that are part of the fans.

Some of the parts for the fans I painted while on the carrier sheet.  I simply sponged on some Vallejo White.

There are two box fans to assemble.  They are made by layering together several parts.  Some are on different sheets, but the instructions are quite clear where they're found.

As I mentioned, these are made by layering parts together.  Once the layers are all glued together, I sanded the edges and then painted the edge of one fan red and the other green.  Tiny handles were added using a thin, short, strip of white paper.

Now, back to the barrels.  After priming these I airbrushed them with some Gloss Black (some no longer manufactured Testors Acrylic/Enamel I found in a drawer).  To decal them (not something I'm very proficient at) I had to first paint some white (per the instructions) on the spots where the decals are to be applied as the decals are transparent.  The yellow portion of the decals wouldn't have looked too good over black.

More in a moment.... :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

This 3D printed tabletop has a number of beakers, jars, cans, etc. on top.  Painting it was rather interesting.  Even 
more interesting was adding decals to the bottles and cans!  :o

After cutting out the decals, as close to the edge of each as possible given the entire sheet is simply one big decal, I dipped them in warm water and waited for them to release from the backing paper.  Then I used a fine point tweezers to grab them and apply them.

Not pictured is the 10X Optivisor I was wearing so I could see what the heck I was doing!

I used a little Micro Set, applied with a paint brush, on the decals once they were in position.

After all that was done, I added the legs and front and back of the table.  I'm pretty happy with how it came out.  Sorry, but my old camera doesn't appear to have setting to get good close up pictures.  This was the best I could do.

More in a moment... ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

I assembled the picnic table (in the foreground) and then went to work on the folding lawn chairs.  I painted the parts before removing them from the carrier sheet.

Each chair is made up of five pieces.  The seat/back, two sets of legs and two arm rests.  They took a little time, and a lot of patience, to assemble but they look pretty good when they're finished.

That's all for now.  I still have some details to finish before I can move on to the mobile home portion of the build but I'm slowly getting there.  Thanks for following along! 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net