Interaction Hobbies - The Ventoura Mobile Home with interior detail kit

Started by ReadingBob, June 19, 2024, 11:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Quote from: cuse on September 26, 2024, 02:21:13 PMWow...quite a detailed and fun little scene!

Nice work as always!

Thanks John!  We're cooking now (pun intended). ::)  

This one has me thinking, without 3D printing this type of kit (the lab detail kit) probably wouldn't have come out.  No one would have gone to the trouble to make the molds for metal casting of the lab equipment and the detail probably wouldn't have been as fine.  Great advancement for our hobby!  
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

deemery

I'd say "You smoked this build!" but I'm afraid Tom would haul me up before The Judge :-)

And you're absolutely right about 3D printing!  Inexpensive laser cutters produced a lot of small manufacturers, 3D printing is producing another revolution in hobby manufacturing (including "print-at-home".)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Jerry

Bob as usual you hit this one out of the park.

Coloring and detail work perfect.
And a great tutorial.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ReadingBob

Thanks Dave, Greg and Jerry!  This one has been fun but it's time to wrap it up and move on to something else.

There's a small porch/deck that needs to be constructed.  I painted the railing with a craft paint, Wrought Iron Black, and then had to slice it into three sections.

Here are the three pieces.

Next up was adding them to the base, painted a concrete color.

Followed by adding the stairs and deck.  This looked like it was going to be a little bit tricky, but it went together surprisingly well.

The final step was to glue the rear section in place.

For a base, I cut out a piece of Gator Foam (actually a chunk of an old poster from a user conference) and rattle canned it flat black.

More in a moment.... ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

I figured out where I wanted the mobile home to be positioned and then masked off the area that would be paved with asphalt.

For asphalt I used something from Arizona Rock & Mineral.  I've used their Concrete in the past and like it.  This was my first rodeo with the asphalt though.

I mixed so water and Elmers white glue in a cup (roughly 50/50) and then started adding the asphalt and mixing it in.  The consistency I was shooting for was a rather loose paste (think really, really creamy peanut butter).

Then I spread it on the area that needed to be paved with an offset painter's knife.  It was just wet enough that it was self-leveling but thick enough that it didn't run off the base.

After the asphalt dried, I covered it with painters' tape, spread Elmers White glue over the remaining area and then added dirt.

From here on out it was pretty much basic scenery stuff.  Spray it with "wet water".  Add thinned white glue.  Then sprinkle Woodland Scenics Soil, Dirt, Grass and Weeds over the mess.  After it started to dry, but while it was still damp, I set the mobile home and deck in place.  Then I finished it off with more weeds and the rest of the details (picnic table, folding chairs, pink flamingos, Walt and Jesse figures, etc.).

Final post in a moment... :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Here are the final pictures.  With and without the roof cards in place.

Not gluing the roof cards in place doesn't provide a tight fit but hey, I want to see all the stuff inside. The roof had a tissue paper glued over it and then it was painted with a Galvanized Tin acrylic paint.  I didn't bother with any additional weathering.  I also didn't bother weathering the asphalt after adding.  That material with grab hold of any powders or paints like you wouldn't believe so I opted to leave it as is.

I actually lived in a mobile home (my mother's) from the mid 70's through late 80's.  Sans meth lab of course. ;)  So this build brought back a few memories.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with this since it certainly doesn't fit the era (50's) I have planned for the small layout I want to build.  Oh, well, it was a fun build none the less.  Kudo's to Darryl at Inter-Action Hobbies for putting out these neat kits.  8)

Thanks for following along!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ReadingBob

Quote from: Janbouli on October 15, 2024, 05:48:57 AMThat looks awesome , great kit and great modeling.

Thanks Jan!  It was a fun one.  I have a few more of Darryl's kits that I'm looking forward to building.  In particular, the Moonshiner's Cabin with the interior detail kit.  Hopefully I'll get around to that one in the near future but it's not at the top of the queue at the moment.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: deemery on October 15, 2024, 08:32:47 AMGreat result! 

dave

Thanks Dave!  This one was different and a lot of fun.  Great kit design.  
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

Zephyrus52246

Great diorama.  The lawn chairs and flamingos are spot on for this kit.

Jeff

ReadingBob

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on October 15, 2024, 12:11:00 PMGreat diorama.  The lawn chairs and flamingos are spot on for this kit.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! The lawn chars and flamingos are neat little details. I ended up with an extra set of lawn chairs and an extra picnic table as they were included in both the mobile home kit and the lab detail kit.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

Jerry

Bob it may not fit the 1950's.  But as usual another fantastic build by you!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln