Keep It Rusty- Scrap Merchant’s Place build

Started by restocarp, August 27, 2024, 06:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

restocarp

For a while now, I haven't built many kits. I scratchbuild almost exclusively, enjoying the challenges, creativity and custom results that building from scratch provides. But when Craig posted his Keep it Simple kits, I knew I needed to get one. And, of course, add my own twist to it.
IMG_6054.jpeg
Matt

restocarp

I began by cleaning the main casting and priming it with red oxide primer. This is my first time working with what is basically a finished printed building. The prints are very nice. There was no prep needed other than some sanding on the base get it closer to flat. I did this with sandpaper on a steel machine table.

IMG_6560.jpeg

Matt

restocarp

I want this building to sit on an elevation and to have an addition, so I glued some cereal box cardboard around the interior perimeter and braced it with strip wood. I created wall templates for the addition foundation as well. These were the base for pink foam individual stones to create the full thickness walls.

IMG_6562.jpeg

More soon,
Matt

Vietnam Seabee

I gonna grab a front row seat on this one. I got my box of popcorn and a Dr Pepper waiting for the next segment of Matt's build
terry

Zephyrus52246

Keep It Rusty

I'll have to elbow my way in for a front seat, too.

Really fantastic start, Matt. I already know it's going to be a great one.

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jerry

I might as well squeeze in there someplace.  Your off to a good build there.
Really like those pink foam stones!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

GPdemayo

Nice looking structure Matt.....I'll be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Dang, late to the party and relegated to the cheap seats.  I'll be watching though.  ;)  
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

tom.boyd.125

Matt, just like going to the show will take the back row and watch the action....Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Mark Dalrymple

Looks cool already, Matt...

Looking forward to this one - in the back row by the sounds of things.

Cheers, Mark.

restocarp

Whew! It's getting crowded in here. Thank you all for joining in and I will be sure to speak up for those in the back.

First a quick tutorial on my stone wall technique.

I use 1" pink insulation foam and rip it into thin strips with my bandsaw. Usually about 1/8" thick, but this time I made them a bit thicker to match the thickness of the printed building's walls.

I don't have a hot wire cutter, as my bandsaw does a good job, but there is a difference in texture from the bandsaw cut, which likely helps with the final look of the stones.

I use a common technique and texture the foam with a piece of wadded aluminum foil. I then cut off strips that are the height of the stone that I want. This is determined by how the wall is being assembled and what fits.

I then clip the corners and shape each stone. It helps to have a reference unless you are familiar with the techniques of actual stone masonry. The general rules are:
  • Try to maintain courses, like brick
  • Vary the size and shape of your stones
  • Stagger your joints

I glue the stones to the cardstock with Titebond 3 wood glue as it sticks and drys fast.

IMG_6564.jpeg
IMG_6565.jpeg
IMG_6569.jpeg
IMG_6577.jpeg

Matt

Vietnam Seabee

craftsmankits

Thanks for mentioning the Titebond 3 wood glue for adhering the foam stones.  I've always used Canopy glue, but it takes a while to set up. Mark